1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just found out I have a Rooster, but do not want chicks...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LauLau_Mama, Apr 13, 2012.

1. LauLau_Mama

LauLau_Mama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Collin County, TX
    I bought my babies in December, and one of my Plymoth Rocks has turned out to be a Rooster. He is a sweetie, but the past day or so he has been...well you know with one hen in particular. I do not want baby chicks, it is too hot in the summers and well, I don't have enough room. My neighbor told me that as long as I check for eggs daily it would not matter if they (the eggs) are fertilized. Is this true? Should I separate them, and build a 'man cave' for the rooster? Oh gosh....don't know what to do!! They are all still so young, I appreciate any advice!
    Thank you

2. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Yes, as long as you gather eggs every day, the eggs will not have time to start to develop. To get a baby chick, you have to have several things: a fertilized egg, a hen that wants to sit on the egg for 28 days straight while barely getting up for food or water, and a chicken owner that lets that happen. As long as you get the eggs regularly, you're fine. You won't be able to tell a fertilized egg from an unfertilized one.

Enjoy!

3. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Ditto... you will never get chicks unless you incubate the eggs...either with a hen or incubator.
    One small correction.. its 21 days for chicken eggs.

4. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Whoops! Major typo there - thanks for catching it.

5. LauLau_Mama

LauLau_Mama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Collin County, TX
    Thank you! Looking forward to fresh eggs :)

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
  7. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    You will never have any chicks unless you allow one of your hens to go broody and incubate the eggs for 21 days!

No chicks will start to develop unless the hen starts to incubate them........and then you will only see the start of a growing chick after over a week.

Just make sure you collect you eggs more than once a week and you will never have any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by