Just found out I have to take a pay cut

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NancyDz, Feb 18, 2009.

1. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Well our quarterly earnings was announced today and even though we did pretty well in some areas that made up where we didnt, they are making us take a pay cut of 5%.

I know there are many out there without jobs and we should be grateful that we get to keep our jobs but in the last 5 years we have had tons of layoffs, no raises, everything cut and chopped ( health care, bonuses, retirement, etc) and they keep piling on the work as
    people are let go and now this. I'm already working part time jobs just to pay my bills and thats with no credit cards or car payment. We did announce a profit but now this in the same announcement. Gas and bills go up but my pay hasnt in 5 years. I'm tired of being grateful for my job , it puts us in such a low groveling situation when we are working our *** off.

Sure our CEO took a 20% cut but he can live like a King on half of what he makes... so I don't feel too sorry for him . Just less in his savings account. ( what's a saving's account)

GRRRRRRRRRR:he sorry I just needed to rant...

Edited by moderation for inappropriate language

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    So sorry. Rant away. It does seem like the worker bees are carring a larger amount of the burden.

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I am sorry about the cuts. Our dd is going thru the same thing but she had to take a 7% tax cut. more $$ for her insurance, less sick days, and they are laying off left and right. She is single and this has really hit her hard. She has canceled her home phone, her net and she contacted her landlord telling them that she would have to move when her contract was up and they offered her the same apt.. for 100$ less and they are putting in new heating/air system.. AND she would NOT have to sign a lease again.. They know a good renter when they see one...makes me proud..

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's happening everywhere.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Hey I'll rant right along with you! When I found out what my giving up a weeks pay was compared to my Superintendent giving up a week,, I felt like ambushing her in a dark parking lot! For me it's painful, and to have $100 less every pay check hurts! She's giving up 2 weeks,, wow,,, poor thing will have to do with $500 less a check?

6. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I'm worried about work for next year.

I teach one of the more obscure subjects, and I feel pretty vulnerable to cuts.

7. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I am really sorry. We are going through similar things here. My DH is being forced to take 12 weeks off this year with no pay. He just survived the 17th layoff over the last 3-4 years. I agree with Mahonri that it is everywhere.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry, I feel for you too. Are you at the Corvallis Site by any chance? We are experiencing the exact same thing. Too bad the CEO's reduction is only 20% of their base... I'd rather see 5% across the board.

9. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    No I'm in Roseville, CA. It's a company wide cut , HR already followed up with an email saying it would hit our paycheck on March 15th. Also they cut the company matching on our 401K, although that won't really affect me, I had to stop my contribution so as to have more take home pay to make ends meet. It amazes me how fast they can impliment these types of changes but if its something that helps me it takes forever to make changes in the system.

[​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Darn, was hoping for another local neighbor! [​IMG]

Good luck with everything, things fall fast when they do alright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by