1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just found out my Chicken Ordinance

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by coffeemama, Mar 23, 2009.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    So my mom owned our house before us-we bought it from her. She had chickens there legally since about 10+ years ago. When we bought the house we inherited the chickens. Since she got them however they have changed the rules. Most lots in town are 7000sqft or less. The rules are that you can have one chicken if your lot is 7000sqft and 1 more per extra 1000sqft you have. Our lot is just under 7000sqft.

So basically we are not allowed to have any chickens. I'm not particularly worried-our neighbors seem fine with our hens. We even had city workers replacing a water line in our back yard over the course of a week, two summers ago. They never said a thing. It just irks me that a smallish farming community has such a silly rule-essentially keeping most of the city from having chickens. Pish!

2. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    Try to document that chickens have been on the property for 10 + years. Come up with something that shows the chickens came with the house when you bought it.

You should be grandfathered in. The trick is to show a continuous (spelling sorry) flock with no breaks in ownership. Don't back down on this.

Keep those lovely girls and enjoy them.

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Thanks! There have been no breaks and actually- our 14 year old hen that my mom bought with her original flock, just died last year. Not sure how I would prove they have been here the whole time though...

4. cjvg

cjvg New Egg

Mar 3, 2009
    Laurelwood, OR
    Look through old family photos that might show chickens in the background.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by