Just found out my EE has a cleft palate

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wannabe_goatmom, Jun 21, 2010.

1. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    She was sitting on my lap panting and I could see the roof of her mouth and it is split from about half way all the way to the back. She has always made a weird honking noise so I guess that is why. Has anyone else had a chicken with a cleft palate? Should I expect her to live a normal life or do I need to give her special care? She will be a year old on July 27.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I believe this is perfectly normal. If it's what I think you're describing then I've seen this in all my chickens. I don't know what the name of it is, or what its function might be, I think it has connection with their sinuses. I apply a medicine called Vet Rx to that place when they have sinus/eye infections, and that is also the place you stick the knife when you're pithing chickens for slaughter.

3. wannabe_goatmom

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Thanks for the quick reply [​IMG]
    If it is normal do you think there is another reason why she makes the honking noise when she is panting? I have 14 chickens and none of the others make that noise.
    I tried to look in a couple of their beaks but they were not very cooperative LOL

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Hmmm, it's possible that she could have a cleft that is shaped differently from the norm & so she makes a different noise when she pants. Or it could mean that she has some kind of respiratory ailment. Does she have any other symptoms, like runny eyes or nostrils, a wheezing sound when you put your ear to her breast? If so, then you can research the best treatment for that. Otherwise, she just might be a honker.

5. wannabe_goatmom

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    I went out and checked for runny eyes and nose and she doesn't have either. She also doesn't sound like she's wheezing but with the constant honking it's hard to tell. I also got one of the others to let me see in her mouth. The one who is doing the honking has a wider split in the roof of her mouth and toward the front it is shaped like a circle. It's kind of hard to explain. Maybe the circular shape at the front is causing the honking.
    Thanks so much for helping.
    Billie Jo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by