Just found out someone complained, I don't want to lose my girls!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by missychicky, Jul 6, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I just found out someone complained about my chickens. The law here is that if someone complains, you have to get rid of them. I LOVE my chickens! They're my babies! Right now, they are my only happiness. I just moved from the country to a suburb and I HATE IT. It is everything I didn't want- tiny yard, no trees, no space between the houses. My chickens are what keep me going.They have got me through a lot of hard times, they're kind of my therapy chickens. How can I keep them?WHAT DO I DO?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I would start by getting an exact copy of the law in writing.

3. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    So just because some tool decides to be a busy body and complain, you lose your RIGHT to have a pet? Unbelievable! Are we in communist Russia or freiken America here?
    99% of the time, the animal control has NO IDEA what the law is and has the audacity to tell people they have to "get rid" of their pets like its no big deal. I agree, get a copy of the EXACT LAW.

4. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Quote:That seems like an awful lot of power to give someone. I mean, they could be annoyed at anything and if they wanted to be vindictive they could make some baseless complaint and force you to give up your pets? [​IMG]
    I'd check the laws. Certainly there has to some validity in a complaint before they force you to do the unthinkable....
    Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

5. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    Find out what the complaint was and fix the problem. A complaint usually is what stirs the drink, without a complaint the enforcing agency won't usually look into things. As a zoning administrator the biggest complaint I get about chickens is the smell of stockpiled manure. The thing is, 99 times out of 100, it is a friend of the chicken owner that has got the manure to fertilize their garden and not the actual chicken owner that is causing the problem. Make sure the manure is being composted of, otherwise disposed of properly, tilled in immediately or covered and remains dry.

6. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    If you know who complained or even if you don't...and it might be better if you don't.., maybe go to each neighbor and say you heard someone complained and do they have any concerns or problems with your chickens? Tell them how much your girls mean to you... offer to share eggs maybe.. or if noise or smell maybe there is something you could do about it. Maybe they are afraid of diseases...who knows. ..or... maybe they are afraid of what you will get next and want to "nip it in the bud".

when I was a kid, my mother always had chickens... goats.. etc in the city. She was a very sweet woman and BRIDBED the neighbors with fresh eggs... milk... fruit and vegs from our garden. When I was a kid, I didn't think much about it... but now I realize how amazing it was that NO one ever complained. People would give her scraps... brought grandkids over to see the animals, etc.

Don't know if this would work for you... sure hope so. Sending you a big hug!

7. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    No advice, but wanted to offer a big hug. So sorry. Hope you are able to work something out! For crazy animal laws, when we lived in MT you had to have a license and a leash for your cat! That's right - no cat allowed outside w/o a leash!! Can you imagine?! One of our two cats escaped our yard and a neighbor trapped it and turned it into the pound! Cost us $50 to get it out and they handed me a highlighted copy of the ordinance showing that the fee doubled for each offense. Too many laws I tell ya! [​IMG]

8. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    well i went to the town hall today and asked for a exact copy of the actual law. Apparently there is a HUGE amount of debate about it so she didn't give me a copy. What she told me is that they are not allowed but that could change very soon. I don't understand it entirely but at the next city council meeting some organizations are going to present a ordinance to allow chickens or something like that. I will support it but even if it passes It won't be in time to save my girls. How can I fight them? What do I do NOW?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  9. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    If she couldn't give you a copy of the exact law, then I can't see how you'll have to comply with it. Personally, I'd go back and ask for an extension until after the city council meeting. Or... I'd just not get rid of the chickens and pay whatever small fine they impose so you don't lose your chickens just before the law gets changed.

10. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Um...if they are going to hold you to the current law, then you should be able to get a copy of the current law. Otherwise, I would demand that my chickens be given a reprieve until the future law is in place, and then grandfathered in if it will allow them to stay. So...either they give you what the current law is, and you can figure out if it applies to you and how to handle it, or you tell them to shove off b/c they can't decide what law actually applies to you at this point. In nicer words, of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by