Just found out two of my chickens are half bantam.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by khatar, Jul 31, 2011.

1. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I contacted the original owner of the my 2 most recent chickens and found out they are half silver ameraucana and half frizzle cochin BANTAM!!!! I had no idea, the cockerel is just huge for any bantam I've seen. Will the egg size be too small to eat when they are mixed? Will my rooster be too small to dominate the older hens. Does half bantam mean smaller or just medium sized? I'm probably overreacting, but can anyone help?

2. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I just found out that my 1 year old light brahma is a bantam -- her eggs are jumbo sized. Fear not. The eggs will certainly be large enough to eat -- one of my little banty hens does lay tiny eggs -- her mother lays medium sized eggs -- so I am guessing it depends from bird to bird. As for the rooster, he won't know what size he is -- it's the size of his brains and his heart that counts.

Panic Not, [​IMG]
    Jenny

3. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I love Banty mixes! All of mine are mixed LF/Banty except for my purebred Light Brahma Bantams and they lay 2-3oz eggs! I think they are absolutely amazing [​IMG]

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    That's so cool!

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I used to have a flock of half bantams. Wasn't intentional, it just happened. They were good layers of medium size brown eggs. When I have straight bantams, I just figure two banty eggs equal one large egg for cooking purposes. BTW, deviled eggs made from the little banty eggs are a hit at parties.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I think I have one too. Mine is a marans/duccle mix. At first I thought he was a slow grower but after it started chasing all the girls around I know he was mixed. I guess I didn't think the bantam was big enough for my marans girl . Goes to show u size doesn't mean anything in the chicken world . Lol

7. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    So are bantam/standard mixes bantam size, or maybe medium? Like in between?

8. khatar

khatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Zaxby's2 :

So are bantam/standard mixes bantam size, or maybe medium? Like in between?

That's my question too. Can it be big or small like its parents or is it always inbetween.​

9. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have several that are medium (around 4 lbs) and some that are smaller (less than 1.5lbs) The smaller ones still lay banty eggs and the others lay between medium and extra large eggs.

10. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Quote:Oh, okay. I figured it would vary, since you couldn't get a very large bird from a banty egg, but if the mother was a standard then it might be any size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by