In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
central miss.
we had gotten our girls 3 cute little banny hens as chicks
they are now growing up so fast and are laying very nicely
well we just now learned what they were .......... they are serama bantams
does anyone know anything about them ?

I know lots about them! What do you want to know?
Do a search on my posts too! Info there!
There are lots of real Serama breeders on here...Ondra's Seramas, BoiseBubba...Ill think of more later. Its late.
caf.gif

Gotta get to bed!
Good luck! How did you find out they were Seramas? Any pics?

Are you sure they are Seramas? Old English bantams can look a lot like Seramas. Hatcheries don't usually sell Seramas so if you got your chicks from a hatchery then you likely have Old English bantams. Show us some pics
smile.png

I have seramas too, I can tell you they are NOT winter hardy, I keep mine in the house over the winter. I just got into this breed last june so i have had some for almost a year. I am sure others who have had them longer can tell you more. If there is anything else you want to know about them just ask away. BTW the hens tend to go broody often, at least mine do
roll.png

Edited to add a link to Jerry Shexnaders site, he is the original importer of these birds. Lots of info on his site http://www.jerrysseramasllc.com/american.htm

ANother
link on how to raise them
http://www.freewebs.com/staposeramas/raisingserama.htm

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=170220
Check
here for what a Serama is suppose to look like.

Mine are outdoors all winter, but I am in Kentucky. We did have quite a few days in the negatives. They are in a big concrete building with no drafts though--and no heat. I did have to watch the roos combs some nights.

I would think that if they were acclimated to the temps and you lived a little more south, they may be OK.

They are little broody suckers though. More than the silkie and cochin that I have here!
hu.gif

So true Chickenaddict! Aren't they funny?
I had to leave one hen in the outside pen when it was a little chilly trying break her up. She was brooding the grass, and then it started to rain..when I ran outside, she was like "Ok, Mom! Im done! Put me back in the breeding pen!!"

If they were bigger they would be more infamous than silkies for going broody!

This year Im crossing Ameraucana bantams and Seramas, so that I get my own line of colored egg laying broody hens. They will be small enough to hatch serama eggs for me, and you will always know who's is who's by the colored eggs. That way they can all stay in the same pen, and I dont have to have a whole separate area for the broodies like I do now. Save on time feeding and watering.
Hope they get the Serama broodiness. I also have a Silkie/Ameraucana cross that was my first colored egg broody hen, and I hatched her last egg when she passed. Now we have a SilkieSeramaCana to hatch eggs!

Very interesting with the serama/ameraucana crosses to get the blue eggs, I just hatched a few chicks out of blue eggs from my ee bantams with a serama roo so i could see as well if they will lay blue eggs. I'll have to post some pics soon here. I am just in love with the breed in general yet i have alot to learn since i have only had experience with them for just about a year now. Keep me posted on your project i can't wait to see how it turns out
big_smile.png

Cool Chickenaddict!! I found a guy on AlternativeSeramas Yahoo!group (im on for the frizzles!)
Frizzleandhens.jpg

Frizzledhen.jpg

Frizzlehenchickforsale.jpg

He says that he has a friend that has nearly perfected blue egger Seramas, and b/c Serama crossing is looked down upon, he doesnt post much, but he said that he could get me eggs and save me a year if I wanted a blue-egger line!

NEETO!
PS- I love your Whitey!

Back
Top Bottom