Just found Silky ducks on CL!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well I just found a lady with a Pair of Silky ducks for $30. Im not sure of their color yet but I think Im going to get them .

I know there is osmone on here with a silky drake and I hope she sees this post and can help me out a little [​IMG]

I was just wondering if they were the standard size or the call size? and if they will breed with my standard sizes?

2. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    mine are bantams, but not quite calls. I believe they can mate with the standard size, mine are still young yet!

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    If they cant - well then Ill have pure silky ducks. If they can well... Ohwell. lol Ill get to experiment.

4. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    LUCKY!!!!!

maybe you should pen then seperate for ma while next year, then send your ole' pal some o' them eggs [​IMG]

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Im highly considering it. Get me the price for those eggs Im getting from you first, lol, that way I can get the money out tomorrow with the rest of my orders

Ill probably make it so that The silky is my only drake, that way I get pure as well as mixed eggs. I wonder how much silky duck eggs would sell for ???

6. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    they arn't that common I know, only a few hatcheries have them I think.

PROBABLY 2,000$! [​IMG]

In wich case I wouldn't be buying any, LOL but you'd get monies.

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    LOL I wouldnt sell them too pricey.

8. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Songster

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
  9. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

My understanding is that you'll get better fertility breading them in pairs and trios. You can breed them with the lightweight class of ducks. The biggest problems with silkies is at hatching. They seem to do well until the last minute when everything goes wrong. There are not a lot of people breeding them and you'll be hard pressed to find a lot of information about them. The link below is about the best info I've been able to find, and it's not much.

http://www.featheracres.com/Silky Ducks.htm

10. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    freestep farm has them and they are not to pricey i think i paid 25 for 6 of them on ebay. They have some drakes for sale now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: