Just found this half in/half out of my girls vent...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WyoChickenMamma, Sep 30, 2011.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    I was just down to the coop to collect eggs and noticed that one of my favorite girls didn't come running. I was looking around for her and found her in the coop, facing the wall. That is when I noticed that she had this hanging out of her vent. I gently picked her up to get a better look at it. I barely touched it and it came all the way out. She looked relieved, but now I am worried about what might still be inside her. I looked at her vent, it appeared to be clear of any thing else. I put her down and she just walked away.

[​IMG]

2. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Looks like she was considering making sausage to go with her sisters eggs? It was a nice try! Hopefully it's just an eggmaking glitch that will take care of itself! Did it look like a worm? Goodness, I hope not. How long has she been laying?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Tape worm?...intestinal lining?...to be honest i have no idea what that is i hope someone on here will be better help.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm thinking the membrane from a soft shelled egg that broke in her. I think she'll be OK.

Imp

5. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    It is a soft shelled egg. One end is a bit more solid than the other. And it has some white in it. It is for sure odd and does look like a huge worm, but it is an egg that just didn't form or finish forming. I think she is okay...it was just odd.

6. chic-a-deee

chic-a-deee Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats gross!!!! I bet thats the first thing my girls lay when they're ready...LOL

7. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    Quote:2X

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by