Just found this half in/half out of my girls vent...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WyoChickenMamma, Sep 30, 2011.

1. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    I was just down to the coop to collect eggs and noticed that one of my favorite girls didn't come running. I was looking around for her and found her in the coop, facing the wall. That is when I noticed that she had this hanging out of her vent. I gently picked her up to get a better look at it. I barely touched it and it came all the way out. She looked relieved, but now I am worried about what might still be inside her. I looked at her vent, it appeared to be clear of any thing else. I put her down and she just walked away.

2. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Looks like she was considering making sausage to go with her sisters eggs? It was a nice try! Hopefully it's just an eggmaking glitch that will take care of itself! Did it look like a worm? Goodness, I hope not. How long has she been laying?
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  3. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Tape worm?...intestinal lining?...to be honest i have no idea what that is i hope someone on here will be better help.
  4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm thinking the membrane from a soft shelled egg that broke in her. I think she'll be OK.

5. WyoChickenMamma

WyoChickenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    It is a soft shelled egg. One end is a bit more solid than the other. And it has some white in it. It is for sure odd and does look like a huge worm, but it is an egg that just didn't form or finish forming. I think she is okay...it was just odd.
  6. chic-a-deee

chic-a-deee Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats gross!!!! I bet thats the first thing my girls lay when they're ready...LOL
  7. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by