Just gave my white leghorn some eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ginasmarans, May 22, 2008.

1. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    She has been on the nest for almost a week,so I went on and gave her 10 eggs. She hatched chicks last year,too. It's kind of odd to have this type of hen go broody. She doesn't fluff up or growl,but she does bite! She is actually quite calm,to be known as a fighty breed.

2. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    That is so weird! [​IMG]
    My leghorn went broody once but for three days. I never imagined one of them hatching eggs.........[​IMG]

good luck on your hatch. [​IMG]

3. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I have a white leghorn that was acting broody(still is)...she keeps wanting to sit on her eggs and gets upset if she can't find them. But... I was told on her that it is impossible for white leghorns to go broody and that mine wasn't because they are bred not to do such things. I still believe that if I had let her, she would have hatched some eggs.

4. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Quote:Its rare, but I wouldn't think it is impossible. Commercial bred ones have had the sit bred out, just like many other breeds, but if you have a strain of backyard bred birds they could potentially still go broody. you see the same in barred rocks and even RIRs.

5. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Its rare, but I wouldn't think it is impossible. Commercial bred ones have had the sit bred out, just like many other breeds, but if you have a strain of backyard bred birds they could potentially still go broody. you see the same in barred rocks and even RIRs.

That is really great info, thank you! I'm relieved, I thought that I was going crazy.

6. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I didn't give er any egg's but I just had a buttercup hen go broody and lasted for 3 to 4 weeks.They are considered a nonsetting breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by