Just gave the chicks their first meal worms

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chick-e-chick, Jun 1, 2008.

1. chick-e-chick

chick-e-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    and they loved them, they seemed really excited to see them all wriggling about and gobbled them down so quickly.

2. Ailsa

Ailsa Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    England, UK
    How old are the chicks?

3. chick-e-chick

chick-e-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    They are 8 weeks old, I wasn't sure if I should give them to them yet but they loved 'em.

4. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Does anyone know at what age you can start giving chicks mealworms? How young? Mine are 3 weeks old and I've given them earthworms out of the garden a couple of times now. Am I suppose to wait until they are a bit older?
    Thanks...

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    As long as they have some chick grit or get out in the yard to find their own grit, they can have treats at most any age.

Just don't give so many treats that they skimp a lot on their feed, which is more nutritionally balanced.

6. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you.....I typically give them a treat in the morning and in the evening....their organic oatmeal (w/flaxseed) mixed with yougurt is cooling off right now....tonite a little bit of kale. Thank you.....

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    OH! I wish I could find mealworms sold locally to give my babies. Right now the "meat" portion of their diets is limited to the crickets that they find themselves.

8. Jennym

Jennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    Mine are 4 weeks of age and they have had meal worms a few times now. they go nuts for them
    As long as you have their crumbles they should be fine.
    It is so cute to watch them chase each other.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  9. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I also just gave my chicks their first mealworms recently. It was hysterical to watch! Every time one of them would grab a worm they would immediately start running and peeping like crazy while the others chase after and tried to steal it.

I had a few that took longer to actually eat theirs (spent too much time running with it) and they got stolen from ALOT. Then I had a couple that caught on so quickly how to gobble them down that they ate 3 times as many as the rest and were really good and darting in to snatch them from my hands as I was trying to feed them to my other chicks.

Out of 14 chicks currently in the brooder, only one refused to even try the worms, that one being my little self-blue Belgian d'Uccle. For some reason I couldn't get her to even peck at one, though she was one of the first to try eating grapes.

10. silverwing0904

silverwing0904 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    When I gave my chickens their first worms they were about 3-4 weeks old. They would chase each other around for about ten minutes until one of them caught it. They always bang the worms on the ground until they were "dead"[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by