Just gave the chicks their first treats... OMG Cuteness!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amgreen1980, May 1, 2011.

1. amgreen1980

amgreen1980 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    I let the kids give the chicks a few dandelions earlier today and they seemed to enjoy them. But, tonight, I boiled an egg for them. I mashed it on a paper plate and set it in their brooder. It took a few minutes, but once they figured out it was food, they went NUTS! It is so funny to watch them grab a piece and run circles around the cage before they finally stop and eat it! [​IMG] Definitely the best entertainment I have had in a while![​IMG] How often can they have treats? They are close to 2 weeks old.

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    I just gave our 2 boiled egg, and they went nuts! Chickens are by far the best entertainment available.

The can have treats like boiled egg, or oatmeal, or anything 'soft' basically whenever, just be sure to provide

grit for them! :)

ScissorChick

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  3. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    What kind of grit can they have?

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:You can buy a little bag of chick grit at the feed store. It's specially sized for chicks.

5. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Thank you so much...

6. amgreen1980

amgreen1980 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    Yay Chicks! :

Quote:You can buy a little bag of chick grit at the feed store. It's specially sized for chicks.

Thanks, I need to pick some up too!​

7. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    oooh, just wait until they discover meal worms or crickets!! You can get them at pet or fishing stores.

8. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    wood&feathers :

oooh, just wait until they discover meal worms or crickets!! You can get them at pet or fishing stores.

Mine are terrified of crickets for now, but they do love the dried meal worms I have been giving them. I got the bag of dried meal worms at TSC.​

9. saramontour

saramontour Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ours go completely insane when they find a worm. It's so funny to watch them run around after each other and play tug-of-war. Who would've thought these crazy chicks could be so entertaining? haha

10. SilkieMama17

SilkieMama17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Alfred
    I just gave my 3 week old chicks their first treat yesterday, I gave them my daughter's left over scrambled egg breakfast and they LOVED it once they realized it was food! LOL They were so funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by