1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just general questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by littlechick2000, Jun 27, 2016.

1. littlechick2000

littlechick2000 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    i have hatched chicks before... Well my hens have hatched them but Id like to know a couple things

1) what if the hen decides not to sit in the eggs after a few days of nesting

2) how warm do the chicks need to be

3) how late is too late for a chick to hatch? I know they can hatch 3 days after but is there a chance afterwards

4) what if the hen doesn't accept the chicks

5) is it too late in the year to hatch old English game bantam chicks

I'm just a big worrier. My parents are allowing the chicks to hatch but only if the hen hatches them. One hen has hatched chicks before but I don't think she's that interested this time nor is the other hen

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    First, you can't make a hen go broody, you can encourage her by leaving fake eggs or golf balls in the nest, but either she is ready or she isn't.

Normally if a hen sits a nest for 2-3 days straight (even sleeping there) she is likely to stick it out unless something very upsetting happens.

I think I recall brooder temps to be 95 degrees F. the first week and drop by 5 degrees each week until feathered. Adjusting as necessary depending on the behavior of the chicks. If mama is doing it, she doesn't follow those rules. She just knows what they need.

21 days is average, up to 23 days. After that, as long as you know you are counting correctly, toss them. They will just start to stink.

Normally, if she hatched them, she will mother them. Some are better mothers than others. If she rejects them, you can brood them.

Chickens go broody at all times of the year. Their work is harder in the winter but no, now is not too late for a hatch.

Good luck and I hope I was able to answer your questions.

There may be others who will chime in with their opinions, experiences.

3. littlechick2000

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    Thank you so much but I would like to say that my hen hasn't sat on them in a couple days I don't think. She just seems to have lost interest but I checked the eggs and they are already forming chicks

4. littlechick2000

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    My hen hasn't sat on the eggs for a few days and today she was sitting on them. Is there a chance they will still hatch if she didn't sit on them for that amount of time?

5. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Probably not? Drops in temperature aren't really good for chick development. And a sustained drop...I'd say toss the eggs and start over.

6. littlechick2000

Jul 25, 2015
    South Carolina
    I don't give up easy so im going to wait a couple days before I jump to tossing the eggs but thank you for your help. I just have a bad experience with tossing eggs you want to hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by