Just getting started!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheGrundys, May 21, 2016.

1. TheGrundys

TheGrundys Just Hatched

May 20, 2016
    All right, so i am hoping for some guidance from everyone, im originally from the northwest and i loved my grandmother's rhode island reds but living down here in georgia, im going to have to rethink the breed. I have small children so the the breed must be calm and hardy. (And able to handle the heat). I want no more than 5 hens just enough to provide eggs for my family. I not sure if i want a mixed flock or not yet. If you need questions anaswered in order to provide better advise (or just curious) fell free to ask!!!

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    If you're asking for breed advice, my initial order of chicks was for breeds that were good egg producers that had calm personalities. I got Buff Orpingtons, Golden Buffs (sex-links), New Hampshire Reds, Dominiques, White Plymouth Rocks, one Barred Rock that was a substitute for a bad hatch of Black Austalorps (I got them later), and Speckled Sussex (they did not survive shipping though, I replaced later).

They are almost old enough to start laying since I got them in January, but personality-wise of that group I recommend the Buff Orps, Dominiques, and Speckled Sussex. I just got some black sex-links a month ago and they are also enjoying being handled.

3. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I started with 12 RIRs, and they are pretty calm, except two of the four roosters were aggressive. So, I like that breed, but the roosters have bad reputations. The hens are good, though; I still have two of them.
    You could look into Barred Rocks, too. I really like mine. They are good layers, calm, and pretty.
    I know that some of the really good egg-laying breeds, like Leghorns, are good in places where it's hot, but they are also skittish.
    If they have shade and water, I wouldn't worry too much about the heat as long as you're not getting Orpingtons or one of those breeds that have lots of feathers to withstand the cold.

4. TheGrundys

TheGrundys Just Hatched

May 20, 2016

Any advise is welcome, but i was initially asking for breed advice. I've heard great things about Buff Orpingtons but i worry about the heat getting to them.

5. TheGrundys

TheGrundys Just Hatched

May 20, 2016

I know RIRs are great in the cold, how are they with the heat, and thank you i will definitely check into the Barred Rocks.

6. DuckGirl77

Apr 19, 2016
    I don't know how well a Buff Orp would fare in the heat like that. I have one, and I feel really bad for her when it gets hot. Of course, since I'm in northern U.S., it's different here and I need cold-hardy breeds for the winter, so I'm not concerned too much about the heat. They are really calm and friendly, though.

7. DuckGirl77

Apr 19, 2016
    They are pretty good in the heat. Judging from how mine look and act, they should be fine if they lived in a hot climate. I think it's pretty much the same with Barred Rocks.

8. TheGrundys

TheGrundys Just Hatched

May 20, 2016

Im originally from the northwest and on really hot days i would put out frozen 2 liters of water for them to cool down next to, but down here its never really not hot.

9. DuckGirl77

Apr 19, 2016
    EEs are pretty good in the heat, too. Mine aren't all that friendly, but I didn't take all that much time to tame them. I think that's the most heat-resistant breed I have.

10. TheGrundys

TheGrundys Just Hatched

May 20, 2016

I'm not quite breed aberviation savey yet, EE?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by