Just Getting Started.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jbrownie80, Mar 23, 2017.

1. jbrownie80

jbrownie80 Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Pocatello,Idaho
    I am getting ready to start my first backyard flock. I have been looking into having chicks shipped from some hatcheries and also thinking about purchasing from a local store like Tractor Supply or CAL Ranch. I would like a variety of layers, but am not sure how to choose a purchasing method. Any advice on the best way to purchase? I have also thought about purchasing a surprise box from Cackle Hatchery, but am thinking this might be a huge amount of poultry to start with any suggestions?

2. emmiesues

emmiesues Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Do you know how many you want? From one new flock owner to another, start SMALLER than you want to. I regret getting so many to start with. I ordered from hatchery (went in with some friends), found some rare breeds on craigslist, as well as buying from rural king... I went way overboard. I love the little things, but they do stink, and the coop is very expensive. I suggest starting with 4-6 and seeing how you like it.

1 person likes this.
  3. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    [​IMG]

Hello! You'll find a lot of different definitions of "huge amount" of poultry :) How bing is your yard, how big is your coop and run? Those will be the main considerations of how many chickens to get. Assume that you're going to want more in the future so maybe don't completely max out your capacity right out of the gate.

All of my chickens have come from My Pet Chicken but this is primarily because I wanted a few breeds that I couldn't find locally. I'm a 3 hour drive from Cackle so in the future I will probably just go there and buy birds I cannot find at my local feed stores. If you're just looking for good layers and aren't super picky about breeds, it will definitely be easier to pick up chicks from your local sources. Plus you'll save your chicks the stress of shipping. It works out great 99% of the time but if your chicks are the 1% who don't survive shipping that isn't very comforting.

Also, if you're using a pre fab coop, be aware that the chicken capacities that they state are never correct and always WAY over estimate the amount of birds.

In any event, welcome and good luck!

4. jbrownie80

jbrownie80 Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Pocatello,Idaho
    Thank you for your information it really helped me make a decision. A large amount was 40+ chickens with the chance of ducks, geese, or turkeys thrown in. I decided to purchase locally and have started my flock with 6 chicks and 2 ducklings. My yard is an acre and a half, and my coop is an old hay shed that is being repurposed while the chicks are in the brooderer.

5. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    That sounds like a great setup, enjoy your new flock!

6. Hens1952

Hens1952 New Egg

Nov 1, 2016
    Andover, MA
    Thinking of getting two chicks as I have a second coop available. My existing coop has four red ladies about a year old. When is the best time to introduce the two new ones as they get older?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by