Just getting started...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JavaMom, Jan 11, 2010.

1. JavaMom

JavaMom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Kentucky
    Six "girls," three days, our first four eggs....life is grand! But, I admit I was APPALLED at what my husband asked me to do with my wonderful gifts......cook them! [​IMG]

I caressed the eggs one last time and paired them with fresh country sausage for dinner.....mmmmmm.....mmmmmmm...mmmmmm! THIS is why I wanted chickens......THIS is what store-bought eggs can't give you.....THIS is the BEST!

What did you do with your first egg?

2. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    We rejoiced and were so happy. I think we did a comparison with a left over store egg. Ultimately it was eaten. But I still love finding the eggs every day; they are all special and a wonderful thing to get each day!! [​IMG]

3. JavaMom

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Kentucky
    Checking the nest boxes is like looking to see what Santa left in your stocking!

4. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Yup. And it never gets old. [​IMG]

5. Gelky

Gelky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    I took put the egg in my light box and took a picture of it for keep sake. Then my wife will drain the egg of it's content, clean it out and the emptied eggshell will be placed in my office.

[​IMG]

6. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    We have snow and cold and wind bad winter combo, but I still go outside everyday at least 3 or 4 times to check for eggs. I love seeing what the ladies are leaving me in the nest boxes.

7. JavaMom

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Kentucky
    Gelky...a beauty! Glad you found a way to save it!

8. JavaMom

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Kentucky
    Quote:Me too! You make me feel better for going out in single digit temps!

9. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    I should be ashamed to tell this...LOL my first egg was 8-11-09 and I still have my 1st 4 eggs wrapped in tissue, stored in a special little box in the fridge! I couldn't stand the thoughts of cracking them! awww, I feel better since I confessed! [​IMG]

10. JavaMom

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Kentucky
    Quote:Now THAT is priceless! My daughter asked if I was going to gold-plate them.....now there's thought.....maybe a nice shadowbox?

Now, don't you feel better? Your secret is safe with me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by