Just getting started.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Loghousemom, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Loghousemom

Loghousemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    I have been toying with the idea of getting chickens for quite some time. When we purchased our home there was a large (well what I think is large) coop. I was told that the people who lived here before had Guinnies (I am sure I spelled that wrong).

Anyway, I am trying to figure out what all I need to do to get everything ready for some new friends to live in there. I saw posts here about poop boards and all kinds of things I think I need. I am going to go out and take some pictures of what I've got, and if anyone can help out letting me know what I am missing that would be fantastic!

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    If you have a library nearby or if you want to order from Amazon I'd recommend the book, A Chicken In Every Yard. It's written by the owners of the Urban Farm Store in Portland, Oregon. It's one of the best chicken books for beginners. It explains the basics, is easy to read, and all the info is legit.

3. Loghousemom

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    Oh thanks so very much! I am going to go check out the book now.

Like I said, I've been considering chickens for a while, but I start researching and then get overwhelmed and just stop, but I have this empty building and I think it's crying out for chickens. :D

4. Loghousemom

Mar 17, 2012
    Up North
    I went out yesterday and purchased crumbles, wood shavings, and little water and feeders for the babies! Ack! I am really doing this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by