Just Getting Started

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CountreeChick, Jul 31, 2013.

1. CountreeChick

CountreeChick New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    Hello everyone! I'm not chicken owner yet but really hope to be in the near future. I worked at a farm camp for the past two summers and cleaned chickens coops, collected eggs...etc. I really always enjoyed the chickens. I live on a 5 acre horse farm in NE Florida and may soon be adding 15 acres (plenty of room to keep happy hens!). It may be next spring before I can build a coop and get chickens - so I figured I can start learning and do all the research now. I'm really excited about raising chickens for eggs. I plan on having 6 hens - not sure what breed yet (maybe Buff Orpington?). BYC has already answered a lot of my questions. I have tons more and will be posting questions on the forums.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, CountreeChick, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Glad you will be able to get some spring chickens! Here's a link to a chart that compares a lot of breeds. If you can't decide which breed you'd like, remember, there's nothing wrong with a mixed flock! Lot of color and variety plus different colored eggs! Good luck to you!

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member