1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just getting started!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CandaceWallace, Aug 7, 2013.

1. CandaceWallace

CandaceWallace Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    I am just starting my research on having my own (small) backyard flock. I will start construction on my coop in late September/October. Looking for the perfect DIY construction plans right now. I live in Gilbert,AZ so I know it is allowed by the city.
    Anyone suggest a good "how to" book for newbies?
    The breed of egg layers I have in mind so far is Barred Plymouth Rock chicken. I love brown eggs and black and white colorings. Any comments on this breed? Anyone know if it does well in the heat?
    Look forward to starting! I have dreamed of having my own chickens since I was little.
    Thanks![​IMG]
    Candace

2. 13 chickens

13 chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Candace, and :welcome! Pleased you joined us! I think BRs are a good heat breed...but don't neglect having a mixed flock. I have 12 breeds among my 18 birds. I think BYC is better than any book. The Learning Center alone has more than a book's worth of knowledge! Here's the link if you want to check it out. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

And find the AZ thread in this link if you want to chat with locals.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    :welcome

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. CandaceWallace

CandaceWallace Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    Thanks for the info! Need to find somewhere in AZ to buy individual chicks.Only want to start with 3, most online suppliers want 10 as a minimum order.

7. bauerdog

bauerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    You could try MyPetChicken.com. they have a minimum of three large fowl chicks or 5 bantams. I have gotten two orders since may last year and they are all doing great. Would order from them again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by