Just getting started

fuscomommy

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
So, I'll (or my family and I) will be brand new chick owners around May 11th. We have agreed/decided to take the chicks from my youngest son's classroom after they've hatched and they've observed them for about a week. I'm really excited and nervous. My father is a woodworker and is helping with a coop. We realize of course that we won't be using it right away. This blog has been very helpful but I would welcome any more pointers, tips, or anyhing that you've found works for you.

Thanks!

images

Welcome to BYC!

And congrats on the soon to be chicks! It is natural to be nervous. I still am a nervous mommy with brooding chicks and get up a midnight to check on them or when I hear strange noises in the night. And I have raised many broods!

It may help your new chick jitters by stopping by our learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of raising poultry. I will include a link to the entire learning center as well as an article on raising newly hatched chicks....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new adventure you are on with your new babies! Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Where are you located? Congrats, they're a lot of fun and I love the additional pest control and yard help you get with these things. I am in Phoenix and my yard was super hard compact desert land and now they have scratched it up so much it's crazy. It looks like the yard has been tilled.

I will say that doing the coop and run all before you even get chicks is the way to go. I had everything set up for a week or two before we got them and still needed things. Mine are just 5 weeks or so now. They spent their days as few day old chicks out in the run soaking up sun. How many are you getting?

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and pointers. I'm looking forward to learning more from all of you and watching our chicks grow.

Back
Top Bottom