just getting started

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Errell, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Errell

Errell In the Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    NW Wyoming
    I am 100% new to ducks. I have read anything I can get my hands on and been on the internet a lot. I still have some questions that I am hoping to get some answers to here. I recently acquired 2 ducks and 3 ducklings. The ducks are Pekins (I believe) and the surviving duckling is starting to look like a runner. The person I got them from had at least 3 varieties and did not separate them. Anyway, how long before they are comfortable at their new location and I can let them range? Is there a method to calm down the ducks so that they will not run into their house away from me, or is it just a time thing? Do I need to provide scratch? There is probably a million more questions but, I am hoping to open a dialogue. Thank you in advance.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It may take a few weeks - ducks sometimes adapt quickly, but I would not assume that will be the case. We have had some people on the forum very sad, losing their new ducks.

Scratch as an occasional extra makes sense, what are you feeding them otherwise?

3. Errell

Errell In the Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    NW Wyoming
    Thanks for answering. Feeding the ducks crumbled pellets and letting them range. Some scraps from the kitchen. Fresh water daily. Will it take awhile after the get used to the new environment before they start laying again?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, and it is up to them how long. I recently made a change in the flock dynamic and laying is off quite a bit…they will adjust when they adjust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by