1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just getting started!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fancychicklady, Dec 29, 2014.

1. fancychicklady

fancychicklady Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    Star Tannery, VA
    Excited to have been given a chicken coop for Christmas! I have been wanting one for a long time & I'm enjoying learning about all of the different breeds. I would love any advice on ways to get started the right way. Thanks!

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    :welcome

1 person likes this.
  3. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock!! What a great Christmas present a new coop!! Here is a great section of the learning centre for you
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens It has excellent articles and lots of great information on getting started with chickens. Do you have any breeds in mind?

Wishing you the best of luck on your new chicken journey I'm more than sure you will enjoy plus everyone here can help you along the way :frow

5. fancychicklady

fancychicklady Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2014
    Star Tannery, VA
    Thanks! I have always wanted wyandottes, I love the favacaunas & Easter eggers, Polish, & English sebright but trying to learn what mixes & what doesn't! Still trying to figure out if I want a rooster but I'm leaning against not starting with one. What do you have?? How did you choose yours?

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I have 13 polish and a couple of ambers for the larger eggs. I started off with just a couple of sex links but as they say the rest is history. Just loved the looks of the polish and they make great pets. I have hatched them all from different breeders eggs in the hope of starting my own breeding groups they are just laying and the Roos are doing their jobs ok!!
    Probably best to start off with just hens as this makes for a calmer flock then if you do want chicks or a flock protector move up to it when you feel more comfortable.

I've not had wyandottes before but believe they are nice breed. The polish don't do well in mixed flocks they tend to be at the bottom of the pecking order and the fancy head crest attract a lot of unwanted attention from others in the flock especially the larger birds.

Best of luck with your choice!

7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC & have a happy new year!

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. There are some good quick reference charts at http://albc-usa.etapwss.com/images/uploads/docs/pickachicken.pdf, http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/breed-list.aspx, and http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html for researching the various breeds. Also Murray McMurray has an excellent "chick selector" tool at https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chick_selector.html to help you select the best breed for you. Just be sure and click on "show more characteristics." I would personally recommend Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Defiantly check out the links provided by Michael.

Buff orpingtons are my favorite breed. They are hardy, affectionate, friendly and good layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by