Just getting two baby chicks...

Merlin1650

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 26, 2012
We have 5 RIR laying hens that are great layers. We're getting two more baby chicks for the kids to raise, here's what we have:

Chick starter feed
waterer
bedding
feeder

where can we get a red light but not a 250 watt one? It seems to big for just two chicks
Also, how long before we can turn them out with the big hens? I know it will be awhile
Lastly, how often do you change their bedding?

Thanks!

Hello!
I have six chicks, I change the bedding every few days because of the small space, 2 won't be nearly as bad! I've never seen a red light smaller than 250 though, I hope you can find one. I have a 250 watt and 125 watt white light bulb that I switch out as needed. Even the 125 watt seems to be too much for my chicks lately. They will walk around and spend time in all parts of the crate but for the most part they stay on the opposite side of the light when they sleep. They sure freak out if I turn the light off on them though lol

Where will your chicks be? Outside or in? Depend on that and were you live the 250 watt might be what you need. Since you'll only have the 2 chicks they won't be able to snuggle to keep warm.

Katie

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and the advice to get 3--I think I will. I should have know about Home Depot as they seem to have everything! The chicks will be inside. Also, do you simply keep their food full for them all the time.

Thanks for the reply and the advice to get 3--I think I will. I should have know about Home Depot as they seem to have everything! The chicks will be inside. Also, do you simply keep their food full for them all the time.
Yes, always let them have access to clean food and fresh water. With my six I change my quart size waterer daily, they drink basically all of it and they scratch their bedding into even though I have it lifted off the ground

We have three baby chicks. I thought I had a red light but could only find a 60 watt yellow one. Will they be OK until I can get a red this afternoon later?

We got three baby chicks Saturday. One of them drowned in the waterer this morning, it's a chick waterer from TSC. She got herself wedged between the waterer and plastice tub wall and was upside down with her head under water.

The other two seem fine and are eating and drinking water. But one of them does have poop all over the it's rear end and I saw a long strand hanging out of it's rear end about an hour ago. The other one looks totally fine with no poop on it's rear end.

Stressed chicks can get pasted butts. You need to gently pull and clean it off to keep the vent clear.

For all chicks I use marbles in the waterers for the first few days. Bantams longer just because they are so small. They drink in between the marbles, but can't get their heads all the way down in the water.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom