Just go and figure, when you thought all was lost ...(Update, PICS)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by funnybirds, Dec 19, 2010.

1. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    So I got a dozen eggs shipped in a couple of weeks ago. The packaging was SO bad and I had gotten no notification (email, phone call, nothing) so those poor eggs sat in the mail box for days...while I waited for UPS. Even went into town to post office to check on delivery.
    So I discover them in the mail box, (AKKKK!!!!) and open the box. (Two sheets of egg carton and a piece of bubble wrap for 12 eggs. No really...). Contents looked shuffled like a deck of cards. [​IMG]

Several are broken or cracked, several are very porous and the box is crushed on the corner, so I figure, this is a lost cause. Toss the unbroken ones in the bator (Little Giant still air) and focus on the Polish I have in the Brinsea Eco.
    Well 4 of the Polish hatched, lost one to wry neck, spraddle leg AND unfinished absorption of yolk sac. Struggled with that little guy for 5 days before he died, which left a really bad taste in my mouth about incubation and hatching. It was particularly hard because my kids and hubby were growing attached as well.

Reluctantly locked down the remaining 5 eggs from the iffy shipment. Figured nothing was going to happen.

Well the Husband comes running in this morning and hollers "We have a new family member."
    I about tripped over him trying to get to the bator.

There the little lone chick is, against all odds and freaking ENORMOUS. [​IMG]

So go figure.
    Restores my faith and gives me hope.
    He/she is about 1/3 larger at hatch, cream colored and not a Black Polish so I wonder when it’s going to look at its brothers and sisters and figure out its a little “different”.
    It’s sort of like having "Elf" in the brooder.

Imagine all this excitement and I didn’t even bug Baralak or The Great Yapper once. [​IMG]

Patting self on back. Patting chick on back, too.

Introducing Buddy The Elf [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buddy with friend who is nearly 8 days older:
    [​IMG]

"One of these things is not like the other...one of these things just isn't the same..."
    [​IMG]

"I am NOT going to wear the hat..."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

That is SO cool!! We want pictures, of course. [​IMG]

3. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Congratulations! Nature will find a way!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We need pics!

Congrats.

5. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    so excited for you...

Shelly

6. Nodaksnakelover

Nodaksnakelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    North Dakota
    Huh! Wow! Ok, this gives me a little more hope that maybe something WILL hatch out by the end of the week... Congrats on the chick! And thanks for the story!

7. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

That is awesome.so proud of him/her? and you...what about the other 4 eggs? anything...gives me some hope for mine a s well.

8. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Nothing on the other eggs. Really don’t think there will be any more activity. Feeling pretty blessed to get this last little chick.

Decided to get "Buddy the Elf" in with the others this morning (removed the divider from the brooder). All seems to be going well. That's one strong little bird...
    In the incubator Buddy looked enormous, but next to his buddies he/she’s just really FLUFFY, with some big old cankles!

Go figure.

For those of you having a hard time with your hatches. Hang in there.
    Sometimes despite all of the wonky stuff that can go wrong, some of those little chicks actually make it.
    I think I hit every bad bit of luck, and newbie mistake possible. (PM me if you want that exhaustive list)

Best of luck and hang in there!

Pics will be posted when I get some chores done around the house.

9. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    we need PICS!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    Congrats! Great news about the new chick!!!! "It’s sort of like having "Elf" in the brooder." too funny![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by