just go broody, man

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raymondjames, Oct 28, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Anybody know methods to make hens go broody? I hear its a hormonal condition sparked by the same hormones that trigger ovulation in humans, but is there any way to cause it?

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    No, I don't think you can make a hen go broody, at least from what i have read and learned.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  3. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Doesnt having a large clutch of eggs make it likely she will go broody to hatch them?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:No, not unless she is a breed which is more likely to go broody than other breeds. And even that isn't a solid yup. Some folks have never had a broody hen, ever, and their flocks have "the broodiest" breeds of hens in 'em.

It is totally individual, from within, not from anything exterior to the hen.

5. Manningjw

Quote:No, not unless she is a breed which is more likely to go broody than other breeds. And even that isn't a solid yup. Some folks have never had a broody hen, ever, and their flocks have "the broodiest" breeds of hens in 'em.

It is totally individual, from within, not from anything exterior to the hen.

Simply because of selective breeding that has removed the "broodiness" from the natural fowl they are derived from? In the wild they wait till they have a clutch then "go broody" correct?

I understand what you are saying, they would still need to have the "broodiness". I imagine having a large clutch would help trigger to some extent still correct?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  6. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    My buff
    went broody, ugh I do not have a large coop, and it's winter here. Also I have no roosters so what do ido with chicks in the winter with out a extra coop?

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Nope. I have a lot of the "broody" breeds. (not silkies or cochins though - they are the most broody) We go out of town in the summer sometimes. I've come home to over 30 eggs in the coop and it never made anyone go broody.

You can't make them go broody until they want to be broody.

8. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    raymondjames, as has been stated, there really isn't anything you can do to make a hen go broody and it doesn't help that the breeds you have seldomly go broodie.

9. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    i found that spending the money on an incubator and loading it up with eggs was what finally convinced my hens to go broody. [​IMG]

sorry i have no real advice, as others said it's really not something that can be forced.

10. Manningjw

So I ran across this website:

http://www.animalloversweb.com/article_chicken_broody.html

Broodiness is also more likely if eggs are not routinely collected on a regular basis.

The only tips they had to possibly help a hen that already might have broody tendency is to leave a clutch of eggs either fake or real (I would use fake until you are certain she is broody) to encourage the behavior.

I find it interesting that people always recommend collecting eggs regularly to discourage broodiness and encourage egg laying but others will tell you there is absolutely no impact on possible broodiness by leaving a clutch. Most of the avaible breeds are selected for lack of this behavior so I still agree that the hen must have it in her to begin with.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by