Just got 15 Cornish Rock Chicks... What Now?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by msulaimain, Mar 12, 2013.

1. msulaimain

msulaimain Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi,

I just got 15 Cornish Rock chicks that are, I estimate, 2-3 days old. They are in a plastic tub (50 Gallons) that I bought from Walmart. I bought a waterer and feeder tray from Tractor Supply as well that is in there. A heat lamp is attached to the tub and it is hanging approximately 12 inches away from the chicks.

Can anyone please provide any suggestions or tips to reduce the mortality rates of these chicks? I wish to process them all, each of the 15.

Thank you.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Check the temp. You usually don't want a heat lamp closer than 18" because of fire hazards. You also want the area to be big enough that they can get away from the heat if needed. They will outgrow any type of container VERY fast. I raised 17 that were a few days old when I got them and they all lived. I processed some at 4 weeks, up to 10 weeks. I fed Flock Raiser 12 on 12 off after the first 2 weeks and had no problems. No perches are needed just lots of food and water. I put my feeders and waterers about 10' apart so that they would have to move around.

3. msulaimain

msulaimain Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    North Carolina
    How much is the flock raiser and where do you get yours? Can I get it from Tractor Supply?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by