1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just got 16 chicks, not sure what kind or gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by badbowtie, Mar 14, 2012.

1. badbowtie

badbowtie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2011
    A local guy that I bought chickens from last year, I called today to get a couple for my neighbor and he was telling me that he's got a mink that is killing all his chickens and had 16 chicks that are almost 4 weeks old that he told me that I needed to come get before they get killed. So, I went and picked them all up, just not sure how many are roosters or hens, or how to tell. I will split them with my neighbor, but not sure what to do with the roosters. Here are a couple of pics that I took.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    They look like mixed breeds, possibly some Easter Eggers. As for genders, more time needs to pass.

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Any idea at all what breeds he had?

4. badbowtie

Mar 4, 2011
    I am not real sure he had about 50 2 weeks ago and they all free roam his yard so hard to tell. He did mention some were jersey giants I just hope all the chicks are not all roosters.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  5. badbowtie

Mar 4, 2011
    I am going to split these with my neighbor and I don't want to end up with all roosters I am not sure how long before we can tell which is which figured still have about two weeks before we can let them in the coops and runs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by