Just got 2 Jacobins, advice?

PaintedFeathers

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Weare, New Hampshire
So I just got two Jacobin Squabs, 3-4 months old. They are my first Pigeons, they arrived via post office yesterday. Are there any tricks to making sure they eat and drink? Also how cold can they go down to? It's in the teens and single digits here right now =/ I feel bad for them, but I have been keeping a close eye on them and last night when they looked like they were getting too cold (around midnight) I stuck them in between my silkie chickens and other bantams and they snuggled right in. I noticed at least one of them is eating, half the food is gone from their dish, but I don't know if they are drinking. The water keeps freezing so I can't tell. I put some Poultry Nutri-drench in the water, is this okay for Pigeons? It says all classes of Poultry but I am not sure if Pigeons qualify
hu.gif
They shipped overnight so they weren't traveling too long but they are definitely spooked. The cage I set up for them is kind of in a dark corner of my coop, so I moved them to another cage next to the window so see if the light helps perk them up. Is there anything I should know about these guys or any advice on keeping Jacobins anyone can give me? I am a total newbie when it comes to Pigeons.

Thanks!

Bonnie and Clyde <3

I was feeding a rich corn mixture of pellets and grains to my white homers last winter. They were able to withstand cold snaps of -40º in Canada and actually raise squabs during the winter season. I had to employ this modified Stryofoam cooler to ensure survival of the squabs once they become too large for the parents to incubate..

Last edited:
I was feeding a rich corn mixture of pellets and grains to my white homers last winter. They were able to withstand cold snaps of -40º in Canada and actually raise squabs during the winter season. I had to employ this modified Stryofoam cooler to ensure survival of the squabs once they become too large for the parents to incubate..

Oh that's neat! Good idea! Did you have to put any heat source in it or did the body heat stay trapped in the styrofoam?

Don't try what with chickens? I'l have to see if I have anything that would work to make them a nest box. They have a nest but they don't want to sleep in it. Maybe i'll go out and get a styrofoam one tomorrow if I can't find anything here

Back
Top Bottom