Just Got 2 New Laying Hens! When Will They Start Producing Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1maria100, Aug 4, 2011.

1. 1maria100

1maria100 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Washington
    I recently bought 2 new Rhode Island Red hens who are about a year and a half old. The lady we bought them from said they were both laying an egg a day. When we introduced them to our flock (A barred rock rooster, barred rock hen, and Americana hen.) and the hens were a little bit wary of the newcomers but not excessively aggressive. The rooster on the other hand was not taking well to the new ladies, but they are getting along better now. I introduced them yesterday night, and let them out not too long ago today. One of the new hens is sitting in the coop I'm suspecting she might lay an egg, but maybe she just likes sitting in the coop. Well, so what do you guys think?

2. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    They Will Lay...but I Have To Say I Hope You Know Who You Got Them From And What There Coops Are Like I Would Have Kept The Newbies In Another Place For A Few Weeks To Make Sure They Were Well And Had Nothing Wrong..

3. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    From what I've heard they take a few days to get used to their surroundings and then they'll start laying every day again.

4. 1maria100

1maria100 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Washington
    Yes I saw their living conditions and all looked pretty well. I am a newcomer to chickens, so I didn't know about quarantining them until it was too late, but I'm going to make sure to do that next time! The hens don't seem to be sick or have any health problems but I'm keeping a close eye on those two since I made the mistake of not quarantining them.

5. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    I bought a grown hen from someone I know, a production red, she laid an egg the next day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by