Just got 4 new hens and noticed they are debeaked .

pawswhiskersnwings

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
We ordered 4 hens from Southern States, they are 17wks old and once they were here and out of the cage i noticed they were debeaked, our other chickens are not and i see they have to eat and drink differently. This appears to be rather cruel to me and i wish it wasnt done, regardless it was and they are here now and i want to make sure this isnt going to affect them or that i need to do anything special for them since eating and drinking seems difficult... Will their beaks grow back or is this a life long thing that was done to them?

Thanks for any info..

I got some chicks around Easter and they had their beaks trimmed - the extreme end of taken off - they still had most of their beaks - they are 8 weeks old now and I never notice any problem - they seem to be able to eat ok - I notice that the lower beak is somewhat longer than the upper one - but this seems to help them eat - I don't think I would call it debeaking when they just have the end taken off a little - I've seen videos where the beak is cut way back - if you want to see something cruel google the process of dubbing a chicken - that looks like it really hurts -
cool.png

Definently isnt just trimmed, Litterly cut all the way back, i even googled debeaked chickens and looks exactly like them. And they do have a hard time with eating and drinking, they have to put their faces so far in the water that water goes up their noses and then i noticed sneezing right after drinking, our other chickens we got as day old peeps and they never had anything like this done, i definently notice a diference and will never get chickens this has been done to , i feel like im condoning it and i really dont think it is right to do just from the difficulty they are having that i see, i cnat imagine they can pick mites from their feathers easily or peck for bugs either..

A lot of hatcheries de-beak the older hens so that there is no fighting while they keep them. If you order day olds, they do not do that to them because they are leaving so soon. The older ones are kept in larger areas with more of them so they do that to them to prevent them from pecking each other. I also agree is it cruel, and that is why I don't get the older ones. To provide for them better, think about getting crumbles or making a mash so that they can get their food more easily and don't have to rely on pecking it up.

Wanted to add the their beaks will never grow back, just provide the best for them.

Last edited:
Quote:
You might try the nipple waterers, if they are able to peck enough to work them, it might make it easier for them to drink without getting water up the nose.

I'm sorry to hear that they are de-beaked. I personally think it's a pretty horrific practice because it's only done when the conditions the chickens are kept in are truely aweful. Chickens respond to overcrowded conditions by pecking to relieve stress and fight for room. It sounds like your poor hens were kept in overcrowded cages and pens. Thank goodness you rescued them from those conditions.

Unfortunately, if their beaks are trimmed quite a bit instead of just the tip, it's a permanant maiming. You'll have to keep their food dishes and water dishes extra full so they can get to the food.

Good luck, and bless you for taking those unfortunate hens in!

nice to hear you are going the extra mile for these poor hens. I would let southern states know you are displeased with this practice.
It's kinda a thing where if enough people were to express displeasure, would the practice stop? But it is a good thing that there are people to rescue the birds this is forced upon.....

Back
Top Bottom