Just got 4 week old chicks...scabs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amkuska, Dec 29, 2013.

1. amkuska

amkuska Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2012
    We just got some 4 week old chicks and about half of them have scabs on their back close to the base of their tail. One of them is actively bleeding, the others are missing feathers and look calloused. Keeping them quarenteed right now and will take pictures tomorrow when it's light out. Is this common? What is this?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sounds like maybe they were beat up or could it be mites?

Near the base of the tail on the back is the preen gland (oil gland). It should look like a small teat and it is where they rub their beak to get oil to place on their feathers.

3. reneeeWA

reneeeWA Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    North East Nevada
    where did the birds come from? I'm wondering if maybe older birds were picking on them by chance? Scabs at the base of the tail on their back and missing feathers could be from pecking? I've heard even chicks will get picked on in a larger flock.like the other person said I would definitely inspect for mites and keep an eye on them. Make sure you're using a red lamp for warmth. Put things in with them for entertainment, etc. Hopefully the little ones are ok. :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  4. amkuska

Jun 22, 2012
    [​IMG]

There's a photo of it. I added a red lamp, and took a good look at this one while he was out. I didn't see anything wiggling anywhere, but I read online that mites can be tiny and hard to see. We got these chicks off of craigs list -- the owner met us at a fred meyer and gave them to us already boxed. From what I understand he has a lot of chickens, so it's possible they were all together.

5. amkuska

Jun 22, 2012
    Can't figure out how to edit to add :S

What do I put in there for their entertainment? They've got food, chick starter, and will have chick grit tomorrow when I can dig it out of the shed. :) I'd love it if they had something fun to play with.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    For entertainment try a big rock, a piece of sod with grass to peck at and get some mild early exposure to coccidia in your soil so they can build up immunity, and make them a short roost to practice on. Look close to the vent for any mites or lice, but in your photo, it looks like the previous owner sprayed some BluKote on the peck wounds on the back--youcan see where it has faded.

7. amkuska

Jun 22, 2012
    Is that what that is? OH thought it was scar tissue because its kind of hard to the touch. Will definitely give them a selection of play things. :) I have some Blukote from treating the head on my polish boy, should I continue treating the chicks?

8. reneeeWA

reneeeWA Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    North East Nevada
    I'm almost certain with that picture that they got picked on by flockmates at that guys place establishing order. And also I see maybe remnants of blu kote he used. Poor things. In my area I put a small mirror which they love you can get from thrify store or dollar store. Hanging veggies like lettuce or colliflower broccoli putting a flock block out for portions of the day,and look on the internet and this website especially for other ideas on entertainment for them. Make sure they have space to run around in but that they're safe. hopefully they will start healing now that they're separated from the other chickens. If they peck at each other use something like rooster booster & maybe try to improve on space/distractions/entertainment for them. I deal with this occasionally & put saddles on them until they heal. Sometimes Chickens can be seriously rude to each other unfortunately :)

9. Dwkuska

Dwkuska Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2012
    Graham Wa
    Totally didnt think of the blu Kote. That makes so much more sense now. The fresh "wound" is since we got it home. hopefully the red light and a few hours of sleep will put them at ease. Poor lil ladies. So excited for them to grow up!

10. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    It looks like they were pecked if he had them in a mixed flock. It looks like one of my birds when they were working out pecking order when young. They pulled all her feathers out around her oil gland. I got that no peck spray and it worked, though she wasn't happy about trying to clean herself for awhile.

For toys I found those cat. toys with a bell in it was a hit, just a open weave ball stuffed with greens, a hanging something or other to make them hop to see what it was. can be anything that doesn't fray.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by