Just got 6 Black Australops 2 weeks old, need advice.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pooponshoe, Dec 18, 2007.

1. pooponshoe

pooponshoe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2007
    Saint Augustine, FL
    What temperature do I need to keep them at?
    How many times a day to feed?
    Are pine needles and leaves good for their box?
    Thanks,

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Chicks should be started at about 90-95 degrees for the first week of life, then reduce by 5 degrees every week until you reach about 70 degrees. If the temp is correct, the chicks will be evenly distributed under the light, and they will be wandering around and peeping in a happy way. If they are huddled in a pile under the light peeping madly, they are too cold. If they are laying in the corners, they are most likely too hot.

Feed and water should be available at all times.

Your last question is a tough one - hens certainly make their nests out of all sorts of natural items, including leaves and pine needles. When my hen raised her batch her nest was a mixture of all sorts of things. However, when I am raising the babies myself, I think the cleaner things are the better. I would use wood shavings.

Have fun! I love Australorps!

3. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    chickbea..........is right on on all 3 responses. I would not use pine needles as they are young and don't know not to eat them! Get some clean wood shavings instead, it's safer I'd say.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I would just add there is great info on the BYC home page (link is at the tippy top of the forum page) and in the learning center.

Also, www.mypetchicken.com has a good booklet you can print out for free that has info on getting started with chickens.

Good luck with your babies - they won't stay little for long [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by