1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

just got 6 cornish hen chicks . HELP

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by poultrykeeper08, Oct 20, 2008.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    i went to the auction and they had 6 chicks in a hatchery box so i got them . wat do i do . Do ijust feed them crubles when do u butcher i need all the info

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    If they are CornishX, you need a high protein starter. I use 24% chick starter found at TSC.
    You need to feed them 24/7 for the first 2 to 4 weeks, it depends on how fast you want them to grow. They need fresh water at all times. They need to be kept warm if they are small chicks and they can be put outside at about 2 weeks but mine went out at 9 days.

You butcher them at 7 to 10 weeks, its according to how much meat you want. If you want fryers, then 7 weeks is fine. If you want roasters then 8 to 10 weeks is where you need to go.

How old are they? Did they tell you they were CornishX?

3. ODS-n-ENS FARM

ODS-n-ENS FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    NH
    I use Welp hatcherys instructions on broilers http://www.welphatchery.com/cornish_rock_care.asp and have never had any of the health issues( heart attack flip leg problems or worms) Mine get started on a Blue Seal Broiler Crumbles™–AM Plus
    (A highly efficient broiler ration, high in both fat and energy. Amprol[​IMG] Plus offers the benefits of two different medications (amprolium and ethopabate) in a broiler feeding program designed to prevent the onset of coccidiosis. Feed from hatching to finish.) I start them on the medicated feed as preventative because I feel the medication in the feed (that is safe to use to finish) is safer than sulmet. Sulmet has this warning on label "WARNING: DO NOT MEDICATE CHICKENS OR TURKEYS PRODUCING EGGS FOR HUMAN CONSUPTION. TO AVOID DRUG RESIDUES IN EDIBLE FLESH- WITHDRAW MEDICATION FROM CHICKENS AND TURKEYS TEN (10) DAYS PRIOR TO SLAUGHTER FOR FOOD."

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    The box says whelp hatchery . And you can tell they are cornish hens i will take a pic in the mornig . I dunno it they are day olds . They arent that fluffy and have feathers coming through . But i know they grow fast so maybe they are young .

thanks for the info

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by