Just got a 2 hour oral history on....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, Jul 9, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    the US Navy in WWII. [​IMG]

I called my Dad, hoping to get a quick, simple answer to a single question - what was the name of the last boat he was on. I always confuse the USS Trumpetfish with the USS Lionfish.

I had animals climbing all over me wanting to be fed, but it was driving me crazy that I couldn't remember the name. And so I got the oral history thing. [​IMG]

I shouldn't complain, there's not that many WWII veterans still alive today, but it was funny and frustrating at the same time. [​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    [​IMG] and awwww, all at the same time. How nice to still be able to call your Dad. You are blessed. I remember quite some time back you and your Dad were at odds a little. He was making you feel badly. Is that all healed for you now [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I know I will always be the black sheep of the family and I'm mostly okay with that now [​IMG] We are making plans to try and go visit in November. I'm hoping the last of the wrinkles in our history can be ironed out then. [​IMG]

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Quote:I know I will always be the black sheep of the family and I'm mostly okay with that now [​IMG] We are making plans to try and go visit in November. I'm hoping the last of the wrinkles in our history can be ironed out then. [​IMG]

For your sake I hope so too [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:We must have the same dad. Mine was in the Navy then, just turned 89 years old last month.

6. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    My DH is going to be just like that: he's a retired submariner, from the Vietnam War era. I've lost count of the sea stories, but I'm sure to hear them again.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I do the simplest thing. When we go to visit, I just go to bed early and let him keep my DH up all night telling them to him. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by