Just got a duckling - Laying limp - Got too cold?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SouthSeaPirate, Feb 15, 2013.

1. SouthSeaPirate

SouthSeaPirate New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    Hello all,

Im posting in hopes that I can try everything there is to try and save this little duckling.

Woman of the home called me and told me she was given a baby duck. Well she decided to give him a little bath to clean him up (used a little bit of soap); she dried him up well or so she thought. She put him in a little pen in our bathroom while she went out for about 30 minutes. When she came back the duckling was laying limp. I get home to check things out (about 10 minutes ago). I noticed he has his left leg drawn up close to his body and his left wing is sticking straight out. I seen he was still fairly wet and I dried him off the best I could (without too much discomfort).

He still responds to me talking to him, any response will result in a loud squeak back; almost like in a conversation. As I dried him off he became more responsive, head leaning forward and looking at what I was doing. I bundled him up in a towel so that he is not laying to just one side; as he was continually laying on the left limp side. This towel is a few feet away from a small heater as we assumed he was left to be too cold.

Is it something else? I assume its being too cold as GF stated he was up and about before she left.

Any ideas or anything I can do to try and save him? Help me save the little guy!

Thanks to all,
    Steve

2. is it Meric's (SP) disease, or I that only in chicks?

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG].

What type of soap was used?

Has he been given Niacin at all?

4. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
    It might just be really really cold?
    How old is it? Ducks can't make their own heat until around 6-8 weeks old. They need a heat lamp to keep warm and healthy.

5. SouthSeaPirate

SouthSeaPirate New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    Looks to be only chickens. However, there are others.

One small drop on her hands, then wet hands, then touched ducking. He was rinsed really well and was never brought near the head.

Im in doubt that any treatment has ever been made; we dont even know what Niacin is. Duckling has only been in our possession for two hours so no history is known.

Thanks for the welcome; unfortunately on bad circumstances.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. SouthSeaPirate

SouthSeaPirate New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    Cant imagine he would be older than the time limit you mention. Wings are about 1" and body about 5"; give or take. Not sure if that helps, trying my best here.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If he got chilled, that could have caused a number of internal troubles.

What temperature was the water? Moot point for now, but the water needs to be near 90F the first week or so.

At his size, 80 to 85F is probably a good constant air temperature. But he needs close watching for a while. Good that you have him wrapped up.

Does he have water and food available 24/7? What kind of food has he been getting?

He needs to be dry, warm, with water and food.

I apologize if I don't recall any of the above details if you shared them.

8. SouthSeaPirate

SouthSeaPirate New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    Last two times I checked on it, it had moved away from the towel. Both feet and wings are kicking when I went after it.

Still doesnt have anything to show for motor skills. It can scoot very well across the floor now but still cannot walk. Neck is also droopy, for lack of a better word.

Im still so worried.

9. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    Can u send a picture. What kind of soap? Did he drink any soap? Warm up a few small towels in ur dryer cuddle him in those for a bit than Get him to a box (tote) works well line it with a towel or paper towels he needs a heat lamp a 100 watt bulb will work till u find age out if u have a thermometer put in box under heat lamp so u can judge the temp if he huddles under it he a little cold if he goes away from heat or pants like a dog than he's to warm which can be as bad as to cold. get him some water if he's drinking ok add chick feed also for ducklings. After we figure age out and duckling improves I will go over what you need for him as well as many other members their very helpful on here. Keep us posted.

10. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    If he got to cold it will take him a little time to regain his strength scooting sounds like a start. Sorry hadnt seen last 2 post before I sent mine. But key is not to let him chill again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by