Just got a free LG...are they really as bad as some say?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TinyLittleFarm, Feb 20, 2011.

1. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I've never incubated before, but I am DYING to hatch some babies. DH's friend had an LG that has never been used and dropped if off because he won't use it. I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but from my reading on this site, these aren't really very good incubators. I'll give it a try, but what is it about these that is less than spectacular? Any tips or advice on using one?
    Thanks!

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    [​IMG] My boyfriend got me one as a present, and i was so excited until i came on here and read about what trouble they were.

Im using mine for the first time right now, and while initially getting to the right temp was har, maintaining that temp hasnt been too difficult. there are some people who have been using them for years with great hatch rates. good luck! [​IMG]

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

It has a turn knob resister to set the temp. Its very touche to set so glue a big knob or milk lid on it. That is also the part that can fail, usually as they get older. But assuming that part is good an you get it set they work ok... But put a fan in it. Still air is less stable.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  4. celticbird

celticbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    silver city
    They will hatch eggs.....but not really well....in my opinion they are awful because they done hold temps well on top of being so touchy because of the thermostats they are made of way thinner styrofoam. Goodluck.

5. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    I have been using one for years with no no no problems

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:Well Id try it, Ive heard of people liking theres, and alot of people wanting to smash it. But Id give it a go.

7. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Worth a try. I hatched a bunch of chicks last year with one. I even hatched a couple of Call Ducks. I am not going to totally put the blame on the LG either. When you put the lid on, put a Heavy Book on top. This kept the lid down tighter and my Temp stayed steadier! Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

8. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Yeah I'll try it. DH is grumbling because we already have a broody Silkie sitting on 7 and we really don't have room for more chickens. But I'd like to try it!

I seriously need to read up on how to incubate because other than the bits and pieces of info I've gleaned from reading random threads, I know nothing. I think a newbie using this LG should maybe participate in that "Will It Hatch" thread...[​IMG]

9. drezac10

drezac10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2010
    Pine Island, MN
    I bought a LG and had a successful 1st hatch, I now have 4 days left until hatch day for my second batch. It has been good for me so far. Someday I would like to upgrade though. Temp holds great in mine, I also added a fan and egg turner. The egg turner has been awesome just because I don't have a lot of time to turn the eggs myself. The fan also help to maintain a stable temp.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  10. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    It was free, that's a big savings right there. Add a fan and turner and give it a go.. why not?? You may not need the chicks but it will be an great experience and you can always sell the chicks if they hatch. There is so much information on the forum about hatching you can do good research before you set eggs and are committed to the project. Make notes to follow and see what happens. Log your daily temps & humidity and share with others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by