Just got A hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sicjugga, Aug 7, 2007.

1. sicjugga

sicjugga New Egg

Aug 7, 2007
    I just got a hen because I felt sorry for her, She was in a cage so small she couldnt even stand, they were being sold for poultry, I just let her go in my backyard, Is that ok?, and when I have time i will build a coop, I plan on going back and buying a couple more, They showed me the difference between the hens and roosters so shes deffinantly a hen, and full grown, shes kinda skiddish but easy to catch and once i have her she likes to be held and pet, Will she lay eggs?, She just dug a hole in the shaded area of the yard and shes been laying over there, Does that mean she is going to lay an egg? how oftent do they lay eggs? Should I deworm her?

2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    She is dusting, chickens do it daily. It's like a bath with out water.
    As far as worming I use food grade DE. It's wonderful stuff.
    I would keep a very close eye on her till you get her a house. Preds you know. And I recommend getting her some friends too. Of course I'm addicted to my chickens.
    She will lay eggs eventually, if indeed she is a she.
    Were you planning on getting into chickens or was this a spontaneous decision because of feeling sorry for her?

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Are you planning on keeping her in the house until you build a coop? You need to get more hens because chickens are social birds but you also should have built a house before you got her. If you have a dog house that you can put her in that would even work for a while. She does need a companion though. Good luck.

4. sicjugga

sicjugga New Egg

Aug 7, 2007
    I have a large dog kennel outback but she doesnt like it,its an inclosed one, I also bought chicken food but she wont eat it, she just eats bugs.. is that ok? And i have thought about chickens.. I have 3 dogs and 3 cats and I foster animals oftent, i do plan on keeping her, and i would like atleast 3 chickens, so she will have friends, Any Ideas on a chicken coop?!

Oh and my cats at first stalked her but when she started clucking they ran away, So they dont bother her, One of my dogs likes to annoy her like if he barks at the door and i dont let him in right away he goes down to the chicken and just pranses behind her, he doesnt attack her I think he knows ill just let him in if he makes her make noise. he doesnt chase her or show any aggression he just pranses behind her, he is a pitbull but he does great with animals, any kitten we bring in to foster he licks, same with pups and an orphaned possum we had. hes an animal lover! and an annoying big brother to the chicken!

Oh and she is red.

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    She probably doesnt like the enclosure cause there is no other chickens in there. I second the idea of getting another, she will be sad without one.

THe kennel will work for an enclosure, but remember chickens have predators that climb and come from above, so youll need to cover it. I did my kennel cover with garden netting. Surpisingly, many predators can get in/through a kennel so youll need a dog house or something to shut her in at night, otherwise it is a matter of time before something gets her. She is a "sitting duck", pardon the pun, since she can get away if a predator makes its way in.

Otherwise, be prepared to become addicted to chicken keeping. Youll get more..and more...and more! Enjoy! We all do!

PS, when I need a "quick coop" for protection, I use the large plastic dog crates temperarily. At least you can shut her in there adn protect her from the elements. Once you put her away for a few nights, she will start to go in there on her own.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  6. sicjugga

sicjugga New Egg

Aug 7, 2007
    [​IMG] I will start putting her in the plastic dog crate at night untill we build her a coop But we live in a city, is there still preditors? we have a nice size backyard, And I will be getting her friends saturday!thats when they have the chickens for poultry there and its so sad theyre laying down in the cages with theyre feet behind them because they cant move. Im actually surpised "Rosemarry" (my chicken) isnt more afraid of me than what she is.

and her breast is kinda boney does that mean that she is underweight? she poops ALOT and she eats bugs, still wont touch her chicken food!!

and what about winter? is she going to need an electric heater in her coop? Or even heatingpads?

7. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

My city friends who have chickens have lost many to possums. Yes, there are predators!

Their breasts have a major bone, so she may not be under-weight. As for the food, what are you feeding her and how is it given to her?

Yes, chickens poop a lot. So much. ItÂ’s incredible. Mind-boggling. But good compost.

Winter depends on where you are. How cold does it get and what kind of coop are you going to build?

How cool that you have fallen into this! Get more, get addicted. It can only be good b/c chickens rock.

8. sicjugga

sicjugga New Egg

Aug 7, 2007
    Ok I got her two friends, she doesnt like them, They are kind of young, about 4 months? When she first seen them she was on the banaster, Then she flew down by them and just looked at them, then made a noise, then jumped up and bit about 5 feather out of the baby, Then I brought the babys back inside.

She doesnt show any agression to any of the other animals she just makes noise, We also had a big storm last night and she kept running out of the dog house so I put her under our porch, its pretty high off the ground and pretty big, she could still see out of all the sides, and when i went to check on her she was sleeping, So I hope she didnt mind it too much, she came out herself the next day.

and I have chicken feed I bought from the only petshop around here she doesnt eat it, she eats bugs and house scraps and im not sure if thats too healthy!!! Im not sure where I can even get other chicken feed around here.

and my other chickens have alot of feathers on they're feet, what breed is that? and how do i tell if they are a girls or boys?

Shes an awesome pet despite her not liking the other chickens.

9. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    She will get use to them in time, she will more than likely have them be submissive to her. In other words she will be the boss. It's the pecking order.
    Feathered feet can be alot of different types of breeds. Need pics or more descriptions.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
  10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Post pics and we can try to tell you the types. As for her new friends, they will have to figure out that the older one is boss so don't worry about the pecking. Let them fight it out as long as there is no blood and then there will be peace. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by