Just got a Hovabator 1602 - Now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Stevida, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Stevida

Stevida Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    West Grove PA
    I am so new to this - Ive been reading threads to get ready for my first hatch. We plan on driving to a farm this weekend to get a dozen eggs. My daughter and I are so excited - my DH thinks we are crazy!

My question is do I need to prep before I bring home the eggs? I have the incubator and turner set up but not running - should I start it? I also do not think it came with a humidity gage should I get one and if so, where can I find one?

Thanks in advance for any help![​IMG]

2. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Oh gosh...I'm in the same boat. I pick up my bator from TSC tomorrow....

Watching for info [​IMG]

3. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Start your motors, folks. And go buy yourselves a Thermometer/Hygrometer. You want your 'bator to have been running and stable at the appropriate temp and humidity for as long as you can stand to wait before you put your eggs in. The temp and humidity will change as soon as you DO put the eggs in, but it will re-stabilize after a while, depending on how many eggs you put in, what their temp is, etc.

In any case, make sure it runs the way you want it to BEFORE you put eggs into it.

Susan

4. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Where's the best place to get a Thermometer/Hygrometer?

TIA [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  5. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:Start your motors, folks. And go buy yourselves a Thermometer/Hygrometer. You want your 'bator to have been running and stable at the appropriate temp and humidity for as long as you can stand to wait before you put your eggs in. The temp and humidity will change as soon as you DO put the eggs in, but it will re-stabilize after a while, depending on how many eggs you put in, what their temp is, etc.

In any case, make sure it runs the way you want it to BEFORE you put eggs into it.

Susan

Susan forgot to add that you also need to get ready for one awesome addiction. [​IMG]

Your temp needs to be around 100* (steady) maybe a little, very little, less. Do you have a turner with it. I hear that the turners give off heat also. Many blessings on your hatches. Oh, almost forgot [​IMG]

6. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Have you got a Wal-Mart near you?

I like the Smithfield/Taylor one a lot. I have two of them that I got at Wal-Mart.

I also have an indoor-outdoor Accurite that I have in the 'bator with the probe inside a water wiggler, and that is very reassuring.

And, it's true, this is extremely addicting. First thing I did in the middle of my first incubation was to go and buy a second incubator so I could so staggered hatches. My first one was only 10 eggs. There are 38 in the second one.

Susan

7. Stevida

Apr 20, 2008
    West Grove PA
    So a simple Thermometer/Hygrometer from Walmart will work? Excellent! I just turned my bator on - I do have a turner - I'll be watching it the next couple of days to monitor the temperature - even though there is nothing inside! I can only imagine what it will be like once I have some eggs!!![​IMG]

Do I still need to mark the eggs top and bottom even with a turner? Will I be able to put the eggs right in the bator when I get them?

Sorry for all the questions...

Davida [​IMG]

8. Stevida

Apr 20, 2008
    West Grove PA
    Quote:Amy when do you get your eggs? We will be chicken moms together!!! [​IMG]

9. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Jody from here shipped my Buff Orpington eggs today [​IMG]

I also have a few OE Creles I am getting from a local lady that I will put in the bator, too.

So...hopefully Saturday will be day 1!!

Where in Wal-Mart do I find the Thermometer???

Thanks for the welcome to a NEW addiction!

10. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    I'm not getting a turner. Good old hand turning for us.

Dh works at TSC [​IMG] He had to get a 'bator brought up from a nearby store, because his store didn't have one in stock. So, I'm going to be at his store at 8am tomorrow when they open to get mine. I'm going to go to Walmart first, to get my thermometer/hydrometer. Then make a b-line home to get it running.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by