Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Aug 30, 2007
New York State
My Coop
My Coop
And I am so pleased!

The old coop roof was starting to cave in -- my coop is very crooked to begin with (my parents got an old packing crate and turned it into a shed about 25 years ago, with zero building experience), and the roof follows suit. It has a very shallow slope and it was shingled, so the snow just sat there, getting heavier and heavier all the time. For a LONG time I've wanted it redone, but it never happened. Until this week!

My dad took off the whole roof and we put in new rafters, put on purlins (they were nonexistent before!), then insulation and the corrugated aluminum roofing. When those were up, my mom and I put in some insulation on the inside between the rafters. We have 1 more piece to get and then we will put up the inside plywood, caulk the holes and paint the whole thing with aluminum roof paint, and then it will be all done.

I am SO PLEASED and HAPPY! The one thing I still wish for is a deeper slope, but that probably won't happen. When I get my own place and build my own coop, I'm going to definitely give it a bigger slope. Right now it's a 1 foot difference between the front and back, and it's an 8x8 coop.

But in all, yes, I am very happy with my new roof.
smile.png

-- I forgot to add... There was literally NO overhang before. Now I have a whole FOOT on all sides!!
woot.gif

Last edited:
I can take pictures of the new roof now, but we were all too busy to bother with the camera during the process. I wish I had some though.

I promise I'll get you all some pics later!
big_smile.png

Pictures as promised! And a few stuck in of the tenants. I couldn't resist.
tongue.png
The roof took 2 days to complete because it was started late the first day. So that night the girls had to sleep in the barn with the cows. They put up a huge fuss about that, but I was not going to let them spend the night in a coop with no roof! They were super excited last night when they were allowed to go to bed.

Front view...
IMG_0438.jpg

Back view...
IMG_0439.jpg

The girls running to see me...
IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

Nutty's new feathers -- she just finished her molt...
IMG_0442.jpg

Clotilde losing her feathers -- she's just starting, and I plan to get some pics for that molting contest...
IMG_0443.jpg

Happy to be inside...
IMG_0444.jpg

The insulation and the last one that has none -- you can see the purlins there...
IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

Clover turning away from the camera...
IMG_0447.jpg

And all the junk that came off the top -- shingles, tar paper, and all the rotten wood behind the wheelbarrow...
IMG_0452.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the great pics - you must be so pleased!

Purlins? You have the hallmarks of a cowboy builder!

Now you should paint some 'Miss Kitty' eyes with BIG eyelashes on the coop -
just to show how nice eyeliner can be anywhere!

Quote:
lau.gif
Oh dear.... No eyelashes on the coop! Though I will tell you that I saw a white convertible Volkswagen Beetle the other day, and it has giant eyelashes on the lights.
tongue.png

What's "cowboy" about purlins? That's what everyone called them while we were building the parn... Unless that's the wrong way to spell in and it's supposed to be pearlings...
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom