Just got a pair of Australorps and both look a bit worst for wares

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Austrachick, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Austrachick

Austrachick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2016
    Qld Australia
    I have just picked up these two hens and one appears to have an issue with her eye any ideas of what ithe could be and should I be worries about introducing her to the rest of my flock?[​IMG]

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Looks very swollen all around her eye, yes? Little hard to see in the pic...

That could be either a sinus infection or a respiratory infection... most respiratory infections are highly contagious... personally, I wouldn't bring that in if I could see that...

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Definitely keep that bird and any others who came into contact with it in a quarantine far, far away from your flock. Swollen eyes are a common symptoms of contagious respiratory disease.

4. Austrachick

Oct 24, 2016
    Qld Australia
    What is my best cause of action?

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Myself, I would return them if possible... if not, I would seriously consider culling... sorry, jmo... but chickens can carry so much without symptoms that any showing symptoms like that would be an immediate no in my book... :(

1 person likes this.
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi there Austrachick

Sorry but I agree in that I would not take the risk, even in quarantine and would be taking them back or culling them.

Where did you get them from? While it may be a harmless eye issue, foreign body etc, not knowing the chicken or its history, I would definitely be suspicious of contagious respiratory infection as QueenMisha and RavynFallen have suggested.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  7. Austrachick

Oct 24, 2016
    Qld Australia
    [​IMG]
    Hope this one is a bit clearer. It's a 1hr drive so no chance of return now[​IMG] but I would be devastated if I lost my flock so I will be going for a drive in the morning [​IMG]

8. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm afraid I cannot help you with your chicken, but I would just like to welcome you to BYC.
    :welcome

1 person likes this.
  9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Tut .. not good that you now have to drive all that way again tomorrow but for the sake of your flock, probably worth it.

It goes without saying to keep both of them as far away from your existing flock as possible until tomorrow.

Sorry that you are having to go through this [​IMG]

And, by the way, Welcome to BYC! Just a shame that it was under such circumstances. If you are interested, a few Aussies hang around in this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/598568/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island/31310

10. Austrachick

Oct 24, 2016
    Qld Australia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by