just got a used dog house for a duck coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AHappychick, Jan 13, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    After reading several posts about the great finds people get from various sites I went looking for a dog house I could convert for a home for my runner ducks. I found one and it is huge, well made and cost me $30 YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

I am going to paint it nice and insulate it a bit and put it on a platform so that it is not on the ground. Any other suggestions, is latex non toxic paint ok? and I should replace the floor with non treated wood right?

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I'd love to see pictures when you are done. My ducks love the dog houses and use them regularly but I haven't done anything fancy to them. I was gifted with 4 X Large plastic dog houses, 1 Dogloo and 2 X Large travel kennels. Only three of the dog houses are being used by dogs.

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I too use doghouses for my call ducks. Not insulated and we cut out small vent areas on each side and covered them with chicken wire on the inside. Made a drop door for the doorway with a dowel rod that holds it open during the day.
    You will need to have treated floors so it will last longer with all the moisture. And use pine bedding..
    I bought mistints at Lowes and painted mine. Good luck
    Edited to say that you can put treated runners on it to get it off the ground instead of a platform... Works really well...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by