Just got back from Avian Vet and wanted to share...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by easttxchick, Dec 17, 2010.

1. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I took my Call duck, Dorie into the vet yesterday and she was in severe respiratory distress. The vet, at that time, was afraid to try to pull blood on her because she didn't want her to go into respiratory failure so she put her on .2 mls of Baytril suspension 2 x a day.
    OK, so I started to see improvement last night(eating a little, drinking, quacking a bit), but wanted to see an avian vet just the same.
    Took her in and he listened to her-said her breathing/lungs sounded good(Thank God).
    Here is what I wanted to share with folks-I had feared mycoplasm and he told me that Baytril WILL NOT touch mycoplasm which means this isn't what she has(again, thank God).
    He also told me, in the event of mycoplasm-the best course of treatment is terramyacin.
    Therefore, if you are treating a respiratory illness with Baytril and see quick improvement, it is NOT mycoplasm.
    I just wanted to share this with you all-hopefully you never need it, but you never know!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thanks for sharing this valuable info!

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  4. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Just sharing what I was told by the avian vet.

5. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    I think your vet has his/her facts mixed up. Baytril (enrofloxacin, a fluroquinolone) IS effective against mycoplasmas, but in the US it is on FARAD's prohibited list for food animals- which makes many vets a bit leery of using it.

http://www.poultry.baytril.com/10/Microbiology.htm
    http://www.poultry.baytril.com/15/General.htm
    http://www.poultry.baytril.com/17/Mycoplasmosis.htm

this is Bayer's site- but there is actual science done on the efficacy, not just anecdotal.

FARAD-
    http://www.farad.org/publications/digests/092009ProhibitedDrugsUpdated.pdf

So it works, but not prescribed as much as it used to be for pet chickens (or egg laying duck!) as being prohibited put a damper on it's rampant use.

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Bayer, which manufactures Baytril, states it is for micoplasma; Id tend to believe them.

7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Hmmm, oh well, I'm just happy she's doing better.
    We'll know when I get the blood work back exactly what it is.

8. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Board certified avian and exotics vet or GP vet who sees chickens too? Who?

Quote:

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Another reason us chicken keepers should read this from shagbarkbantams.com, a good friend shared this with me, Very good reading.

10. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:I'd tend more to believe a vet, who can make money on either product sold, rather than the manufacturer who is making the one product...there are a lot of pharmaceuticals out there that are never labeled for certain uses but can be prescribed for them anyway, and vice versa for some that are labeled but may not be as effective as others. Believing the company over a vet who can see a lot of things under a lot of conditions that are never part of targeted studies is, to me, more like leaving the fox in charge of the hen house. Studies can be geared to show a lot of things companies would like (or not like) for them to show.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by