Just got birds tested to be NPIP-BRATS!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Little Ameraucana Mom, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Well they all got tested Saturday. Little to say nobody wanted anything to do with me afterwards. THe prissy Cochins , well you would of thought they were dieing, and then they got thrown into the show cages, so they really aren't happy.
    Before we've only tested the show stock which was always sold, Never tested everyone before. They guy who did the testing is the man that i got my start of Bantam Ameraucanas from, so of course he had to go through them. He hadn't seen my blues yet, so we had a good time talking about birds, and visiting.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They sure can be bratty, can't they? And chickens pout, too, LOL. Glad you got to visit and show him your blues.

3. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    when you get it done the first time does everyone have to be done?

4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Depends on how many you have. I had to have 30 birds tested. I think it is a minimum of 30 (or all if you have less) with a max, of 100. After that it is once a year 10 % of your flock. IF I got this wrong someone please correct me.

My little Lavender hen (avatar) run up looked in my hand, but didn't want picked up. So I guess I"m not totally forgiven yet.

5. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Who did you go through to get your flock tested? What do they charge to NPIP test all of them?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2009
  6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

7. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    You have to find someone to test them first. If you have kids in 4-H ask whoever tests them for the fair (that is what i did) If not you can probly call the extension office and ask them. I know one lady who put an ad on a local web site, for a tester. Mine charged 50 cents per bird, but I gave him an extra $5 for gas.
    Pretty cheap, I would imagine most would charge more. $80 to get certified. YOu print that form off of the web site.http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/ispa/npip/npip.htm

8. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I'm in the process now. [​IMG]

9. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I know some states are totally free, Is Iowa free?? We have to pay the tester, they $80 for the certification. Indiana is always a rip off on everything it seems like.

10. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    So if you get certified you can test your own birds and as well as anyone else who may want to have their flock tested?
    I will contact our 4H poultry moderator and find out about who tested ours. I actually think the one who ran it is certified come to think of it, because he tested the show birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by