Just got chicks...a few questions

h0m3gr0wn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 12, 2012
Hi all,

I have my 5 chicks in a pretty large box. I put a 250 watt bulb on it...pretty high up because they were all bunched in the furthest corner when it was lower. They are now laying all over the box. My question is, is it normal for them to lay with their necks stretched out? They are laying down flat on their tummies with their heads stretched as far as they go and laid on the ground.

I think its pretty normal. I remember my girls laying like that when they were young, until I got them a roost and then they started to tuck their head inside their wings.

Very normal, it means they are content and the fact that they are all over the box means they have each picked their temperature comfort level. Perfect.

Last edited:
yep happy little babies.. wait till one pulls the dead chickie on you , you walk in look into the brooder theres a chick flat out legs and head sprawled and your first thought is omgosh its deas but its just sleeping lol scared me a few times with that one.

I will be getting my first batch of chicks in April. I have read the threads available. Would anyone be so kind as to offer their experienced advice?
Best food, snacks?
bedding choices

If I have a broody hen, is it wise to introduce her to the chicks or just leave well enough alone?

Thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom