Just got chicks - update: will the Favorelles chick need special care?

The Lisser

Songster
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Foothills of North Carolina
I got my order of 25 assorted LF day-old pullet chicks from MPC from the post office this morning. I have been glued to the brooder. My neighbor took her 12, and I have 13.

All but one have been drinking, eating, and zooming around in between "naps". The one that I'm worried about is the only Salmon Favorelles (and of course the one that my 5 year old named). She has been peeping alot when she's not asleep. I dipped her beak in the water several times (one of the others was peeping and after I dipped it's beak it figured things out and drank, then ate, and has been zooming around). Fluffy the Favorelles has pecked a few times at the food, but not really eaten, and is more sleepy than the rest. I saw her poop once - it was mostly white.

Can anyone reassure me that she is probably still living on yolk and that's why she's sleepy? I know some people give their chicks sugar water but I've also read that it can lead to pasty butt. I saw her with her mouth open a couple times and thought maybe she's hot - I have adjusted the light several times to adjust the heat (they are in a 4' long brooder so they can get away from the light if they want to - it's at one end).

I sure hope "Fluffy" perks up soon!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Thanks for any input!

Melissa

Edited to change Subject

Last edited:
When I got my chicks I dipped all their beaks in sugar water and then just offered sugar water the rest of the day along with chick food. I guess I would be giving this one sugar water and hope for the best- with my 36 it was hard to see who was just having a nap and who (if any) were struggling.

If it helps none of my chicks got pasty but but once a day I would give them more litter or another layer of newspaper.

I just did this with the new ducklings and I think everyone is doing well... Good luck

I've had the same issue a few times with shipped chicks, for whatever reason, some of them don't handle the shipping well and can become lethargic and can well....you know...

The earlier you start treatment, the better shot the little one will have. This is what I do when I have weak chick:

1) Poly-Vit-Sol (without added iron) baby vitamins: couple of drops on the side of her beak, a couple times a day (you can find them at pretty much any pharmacy, drug store, wal-mart, etc)
2) ACV in the water
3) Make a hard boiled egg/plain yogurt/chick starter slurry and then very patiently try to get them to eat as much of it as you can by wiping a tiny dab on the corner of their beak and letting them lick it up.

It's very important to try and get them to drink/eat as much as possible, but be very careful not to force feed her, she can aspirate.

Good luck!!

I've got the chicks on paper towels on top of shavings. The little rugrats discovered that they could pull the paper towels back and were playing "keep away" with bigger pieces of shavings!! Too funny.

I did make a slurry of chick feed and some boiled finely chopped egg and a dab of yogurt - gave it to "Fluffy" with blunt tweezers - once she got the idea she was eating it from the tweezers like a champ!!! I am so relieved! When I put her back in the brooder she showed some interest in the chick feeder but the others were jostling her out of the way and she wandered away from it. So how often should I hand feed her until she gets back on track? (Every other hour?) What about overnight?

Thanks for the input, y'all!!!

Melissa

If she's eating with gusto then twice a day is all for an extra boost. She should perk up noticeably in a couple of days, at which point you won't be able to tell her from the others. Chicks don't need to be fed overnight, as long as there's feed available. Good luck!

"Fluffy" was running around in the middle of the night in the brooder. She goes to the food but the other ones rush over and knock her out of the way and she leaves. So I'm still hand-feeding her (she eats the moistened food great when I separate her).

I've read that Favorelles are much more docile than lots of the other breeds. I did set up a separate brooder for her and a pal, but the pal got so upset at being away from the other chicks that I gave in and put them both back. Will Fluffy always need extra help if she's in with the other more aggressive pullets? I will be incubating some Mille Fleur D'uccle eggs later this week, and if any of them hatch I could put Fluffy in with them after they get going good.

What do you all think?

thanks! Melissa

I've raised Faverolles and yes they are the most docile chickens besides the Silkies. They are always the underdog in feeding time, treat time, and watering time. It is just the nature of the breed but with your TLC for your Faverolle, she will figure things out and decided sometimes things are not worth fighting about LOL! She will hold her own eventually!

Back
Top Bottom