just got coop today!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smileyfacedana, Dec 10, 2012.

1. smileyfacedana

smileyfacedana New Egg

Dec 10, 2012
    Hi, I am so extremely new to this. Our family is so excited to start adding to our family with chickens. We want friendly chickens that we can even love on. Any suggestions??
    We literally just had the coop delivered to the house 30minutes ago. Don't even have the chickens yet...LOL! This is a "family" project and it is my hopes one that will help us enjoy being together and working together.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, smileyfacedana, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Congrats on the new coop and the soon to come chickens!! So exciting! There are lots of answers to the question about friendly breeds. My two-cents is that Buff Orpingtons, Sussex, and Red Stars and Black Stars have been my friendliest breeds - others I'm sure have different answers. Generally, I think breeds such as Leghorn and Anconas, while great layers, are often skittish. Check out the breeds chart here https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds to help you with your decision and best of luck to you!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] If you are brand new I think you will find our Learning Center helpful. Lots of good info in there! If you want a friendly breed I'd suggest Barred Rock, Buff Orpington or Silkies. I have a few different breeds and my Barred Rock hen is by far the friendliest. She's a total sweetheart! You can keep different breeds together, most of us here do, so wait a bit and see what breeds the other members suggest before you decide.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My Buff Orpingtons are friendly when they start laying, I have found. Then you can catch them and they like to be held. Before that they are kind of skittish as we don't handle our chickens much.

Other ones I have had in the past who were friendly were Golden Sex Links (kind of like a Red Star), Welsummers, and *some* Easter Eggers. Also Black Australorps and Black/blue/splash Orps. Basically the heavy brown egg layers.

Some of the bantams are friendly too but aren't as reliable of layers especially through the winter (d'Uccles are my favorite).

The white egg layers tend to be more skittish, as redsox says. We did have a California White that I just loved, and a Buff Minorca too that were my favorites for awhile. But they FLY. Actually the Minorca might have stayed in the pen if I had kept her to maturity. She laid a nice white egg.

Check out Henderson's chicken chart (google it) for more info. on breeds, too, if interested.
    Feathersite.com has tons of pics (type in the breed you want to see) or check out the alphabetical order list.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio.....so glad you joined. So exciting about your new coop. Now cant wait to see what you put in it :)

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

The Speckled Sussex and Delawares from Sand Hill preservation have been some of my favorite birds, for both production and temperament.

9. TurkeyBreeders

TurkeyBreeders New Egg

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm new to raising turkeys and have a few questions I have 1 bourbon red Tom and hen and one black Spanish hen
    1. Why Do my hens fight?
    2. What is something they can lay eggs in?
    3. How old will they be before breeding? They are all about 10 months
    Thanks for helping

10. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    [​IMG]
    Well, congrats on your decision to get chickens.

I would recommend My Pet Chicken hatchery. They dropship from Meyer Hatchery, so you won't be getting very show-quality birds, but if you just want layer hens, then My Pet Chicken is your best bet. If you order from any other hatchery, except for Ideal Poultry, you will have to order 25+ chicks. So, if you just want a small family flock of inexspensive-to-obtain chickens, then I would recommend My Pet Chicken or Ideal Poultry. Or, you can always buy from a breeder, but this is more costly. But it is very rewarding.

You can view Ideal Poultry Hatchery Here.

You can view My Pet Chicken hatchery and Meyer Hatchery Here(My Pet Chicken Hatchery) and Here(Meyer Hatchery)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by