just got eggs! what now? need help!

coyoteugly

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 12, 2011
Last weekend I ordered two sets of hatching eggs, one set from Arkansas and one set from Georgia. I just received my first shipment of hatching eggs today (Friday). Both sets were originally set to arrive on the same day or within one day of each other. The hens laying our 2nd set of eggs were a bit uncooperative, and now their eggs will not be arriving until Monday or Tuesday
hmm.png
. What should I do? Do I start the first set, or should I put the first set in the fridge to try and suspend them? OR is there another option I've not thought of.

Second question, do I need to candle the eggs I just received before or after I let them sit (big end up) for a few hours.

thanks for your help!

How old are the eggs you just got?
(did it take them a few days to collect then a few days to ship?)

I dont know if I would fridge them or not..
Just let them sit.
Candle after they have sat awhile.

Last edited:
I do not know how many days it took to collect today's shipment of eggs, I will PM the seller to find out. The eggs that are arriving next week were collected over 3 days (wed. thurs. friday) and shipped today - so with USPS will not be here until the new work week begins.

NO, DO NOT refridge them!! I would go ahead and set them in your incubator, personally. Then when you get your other shipment of eggs I'd go ahead and set them, too. You will have a staggered hatch, but at least your eggs won't be setting out just getting older while you wait for your 2nd package.
smile.png
Best of luck

~ Aspen

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

NO, DO NOT refridge them!! I would go ahead and set them in your incubator, personally. Then when you get your other shipment of eggs I'd go ahead and set them, too. You will have a staggered hatch, but at least your eggs won't be setting out just getting older while you wait for your 2nd package.
smile.png
Best of luck

~ Aspen

2x. I've run staggered hatches in one incubator several times just marking the later sets/second set
and usually had about equal luck with all sets involved. So good luck to you and happy hatching!​

Quote:
2x. I've run staggered hatches in one incubator several times just marking the later sets/second set
and usually had about equal luck with all sets involved. So good luck to you and happy hatching!

I took your advice and just put the eggs in the incubator - SOOOO EXCITED
big_smile.png

My new philosophy is to not over think it all as I'm sure a broody hen doesn't - HA!

Back
Top Bottom