1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

just got five straight run embden goslings in the mail!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by AshleyFishy, Feb 13, 2014.

1. AshleyFishy

AshleyFishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas
    I just picked up five little embden goslings from the post office! Any suggestions on how to keep them alive?

2. blueraven

blueraven Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    I would say to keep them indoors for their best survival they need to be kept in a area of 99degress for the first week and each week you lower the temp till their feathers come in. make a brooding area with shavings. make sure they have food and water.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Nope not 99 that's way to warm for water fowl 90 is better, then 5* cooler each week there after.
    Offer fresh tepid water with save a chick in it. after they have hydrated then offer some crumbles.

This is duckling care but water fowl is water fowl so it would help.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. blueraven

blueraven Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Yup what Miss lydia said , strange though that you got goslings already this month kinda early

5. AshleyFishy

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas
    I ordered these guys from ideal. They are already shipping them.

I have them inside with a heat lamp. I fiddled with the height until they were comfortable but not hot. All five have figured out the water and cleaned out their nostrils. I put some flock raiser crumbles in the box as well, however they haven't really figured that out yet.

Do I need to add niacin like I had to with my ducklings? I heard with flock raiser I wouldn't have to but figured I would ask.

It looks like I've got three boys and two females. I'm no expert at telling color patterns though. Lol :p

They are heart breakingly cute. I opened the box and right away two think I'm momma. I went to get a taller box from another room and their shipping box was on the floor. Those two started peeping bloody murder, climbed out of their box and followed me.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Be careful geese are so darn cute!

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Okay where are the pics? I always use Brewers yeast sprinkled on top of feed but if you have niacin go ahead and put some in their water. I've always used FR and never had any legs issues but this time of year they can't be outside on the ground either so best to add the niacin for the time being. Better to be safe than sorry, if you have grit ,chop up some romine lettuce very fine and sprinkle some over their water they love greens.

8. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Yes where are the pictures?

9. AshleyFishy

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas
    Sorry I just snapped these after opening. I'll get some better ones soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]Makes me think about my gander when he was a baby, almost 7yrs ago now. they are precious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by