just got heat lamp, its too hot? chiks are lying face down, thats a bad sign?, vid in abit

they are hudle together on the other side away from heat lamp

here is pic

there are like 3 4 days old

i also added a pic of a see through box, is that a possible brood er for them?

I think the brooder they made is made of foam

yeah Ill have to look for some boxes and tape them together, proly will have tthe brooder on floor

Attachments

• 20200923_201630[1].jpg
    20200923_201630[1].jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200923_200517[1].jpg
    20200923_200517[1].jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 7
They will peck the foam as they grow. Really a thermometer is your best bet to really know. Do you have a thermometer outdoors. Sounds crazy but those will imo work best.
No matter how many times I have baby chicks I have several mini heart attacks. They just fall over and look dead when they sleep and I'll start to get worried, make noise and all jump up and start peeping and fine.
Just from the pic the lamp did look low so probably are hot

this is the lamp

https://www.discountlight.com/be_fr/philips-par38-ir-100w-e27-230v-clear

I lifted up lift using extra box, I duno if sstirdy

I held the chiks, they r hot

here is pic, look dead
It is normal for them to sleep in that position but we can't advise you on your lamp placement because we don't know what the actual temperature in the box is.

The temperature is important. A thermometer is required to measure the temperature.

If they are huddled away from the lamp, they are too hot, if they are huddled under the lamp, they are too cold, or comfortable. Their food and water should be away from the heat source, and they should travel freely to drink and eat.

I hope you can get some batteries for your thermometer very soon, until then, watch their behavior closely and adjust the lamp when needed.

thanks

the chick was lying stil with its leg out

I got a small vid to show the legg out,

they were quiet before, but as soon I get the lamp away, the start chirping and going under each other

I put it back, they stop chirping

here are 3 smal clips, stretching the leg

they seem calmer with the lamp,

now that I raised it higher, they are now under the lamp

but yer, its set up dodgy, so maybe the house will burn

so I guess there proly an article here how to hang it up or soemthing ill look

its 8 pm here

proly tomow have to walk or somehing to pharamaxy, one of the neighbours 15 min away said theres a chikn place around, I gues I can ring her, shes my parents friend tho, I gues Il ring anyway

she can help me get the smal lr44 a76 batery for thermometer or get no batery thermometre, she riases chiks too

I duno if I can sleep with the setup of the lamp, copz might burn, hv to stay awake all night to be aware, then in morning with no sleep ring the person, or go shop if have lr44 a76 batteries n find were the chik shop is, n ask for no batery thermometre

thanks

the chick was lying stil with its leg out

I got a small vid to show the legg out,

they were quiet before, but as soon I get the lamp away, the start chirping and going under each other

here are 3 smal clips, stretching the leg

but yer, its set up dodgy, so maybe the house will burn

so I guess there proly an article here how to hang it up or soemthing ill look

its 8 pm here

proly tomow have to walk or somehing to pharamaxy, one of the neighbours 15 min away said theres a chikn place around, I gues I can ring her, shes my parents friend tho, I gues Il ring anyway

she can help me get the smal lr44 a76 batery for thermometer or get no batery thermometre, she riases chiks too

I duno if I can sleep with the setup of the lamp, copz might burn, hv to stay awake all night to be aware, then in morning with no sleep ring the person, or go shop if have lr44 a76 batteries n find were the chik shop is, n ask for no batery thermometre
Hope you can get it worked out before bed. They sound like they're happy now. Good luck!

Then the lamp was probably in a good place, because they were content with it and unhappy without it.

If they seem content that way, then it's probably good.

There are many kinds of thermometers. I'll link to a few with picture of different styles, and maybe you can find something similar at your house.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kitchen...Food-Cooking-BBQ-0-TO-120-DEGREE/183641324276

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Marina-...ish-Tank-Water-Temperature-Meter/373079118080

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fahrenh...Gauge-Sticker-Aquarium-fish-tank/201581967199

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thermometer/233361248413?hash=item36556a109d:g:RrsAAOSwP45dmVj0

You just need a thermometer that can tell if something is about 90-100 degrees farenheit, or 32-37 degrees celcius.

It does not matter if the thermometer is usually used to measure the outdoor weather, to check whether food is the right heat in the kitchen, to see if a person has a fever, to check the water temperature in an aquarium, or whatever other use. Just borrow it briefly to check the temperature in the brooder, then clean it well and put it back where it belongs.

But--if you've got the brooder adjusted so the chicks seem content, that means it's fairly good.

And yes, baby chicks do flop down and sleep in many strange positions. They sleep a lot. And they stretch their legs and wings in odd ways, too.

Back
Top Bottom