1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just got hen from auction with massive tumor? Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tinasfinest, Feb 1, 2016.

1. tinasfinest

tinasfinest New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    I need help figuring out what is wrong with her. I checked her inside for egg but didnt feel anything. What next. Vet wants 200 dollars. Trying to do from home.

2. countrygirl345

countrygirl345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    Michigan
    Can you tell me some more about the tumor? Did the vet diagnose it? I had a similar experience, which turned out to be yolk peritonitis. (Not good) In some cases, the best thing you can do to help your bird is to put it out of its misery, as many tumors aren't treatable. Or, maybe it isn't a big deal at all. Just try to figure out the problem by yourself before forking over the $200. And for good measure, I would keep the sick bird isolated from the rest of the flock.
    Good luck!

3. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Where is the tumor?

-Kathy

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most birds at an auction are there because there's something wrong with them. I think you bought a bird that probably should have been culled. For tumors I would cull or see a vet but home care isn't an option, sorry.

5. tinasfinest

tinasfinest New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    [VIDEO][​IMG]
    [/VIDEO]

6. tinasfinest

tinasfinest New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    [​IMG]

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Is it hard or soft?

-Kathy

8. tinasfinest

tinasfinest New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    I gave her warm bath and used preperation h and felt inside flap but there was no egg whatsoever that I could feel. I think its a tumor. It is hard on bottom but softer like fluid on top. Right between her legs. Crazy part is she was like that when i bought her. She came with 3 somewhat healthy underweight hens and had to buy as package. Ya it was 252 to take her to vet and have them put her under and pull out egg, which i dont think it is now. I have looked all over online and cant find same problem with any other chicken

9. tinasfinest

tinasfinest New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    I figured she would probably have to be put down. Bought them as a lot but felt bad for her so figured i would try anything somewhat affordable before putting her down. She actually is active and eats well. If i knew it wasnt hurting her i would just let her live out her days.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    I have one that kinda looks like that... I'll see if I can get a picture for you. Nothing you can do, so I say enjoy her while you can.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by